Friday, June 12, 2009

Doggie-Sitting


I haven't been home much, because I'm doggie-sitting for Santa and his wife, both of whom go to my church.

You thought they had little elves who lived with them at the North Pole, but you were mistaken. They have three little Yorkies who live with them in Southern California and need taking care of, but Santa and the Missus are on vacation with friends, so I'm pitching in for a few weeks.

Macy, the female (the mostly black one, upper left) had puppies a couple months ago. She carries the recessive white gene, and a breeder in the area has a white male. Together they produced Bandit, the white one lower left, a year or two ago. And Casey, on the right, isn't related.

I'm glad I don't have to take care of the puppies, though, because I wouldn't have time for that. Macy's litter is at the breeder's, and the breeder is trying to sell them as pennance for not having watched carefully enough to make sure her white male bred with Macy. Instead, in an unwatched moment, the breeder's chihuahua snuck in and spoiled the whole litter.

Mrs. Santa was heartbroken when she told me about it. But since my visits to the pet store at the mall have shown me that a Maltese-Yorkie mix is called a "Morkie," I suggested that Mrs. Santa call the puppies "Chorkies." It makes it sound like it's on purpose and not a money-losing surprise (White Yorkie puppies can fetch $4,000 - 5,000).

Anyway, that's where I've been. Hanging out with little dogs who like me just fine, especially when I give them their treats.

5 comments:

janice said...

They're so cute! I'm glad all 4 of you get along.

Bekah said...

I love the puppy story!! I had a chihuahua once - a regular one, not a chorkie - and I loved him. He went missing one night and we never saw him again. :( So I think maybe I could love a chorkie...though kaegan and braeya would never forgive me.

Christina said...

You know, I'm not a dog person anyhow, and I typically don't want a little yappy dog...however as I stare at our 65 lb. beast of a dog, her huge dog bed, her largest-one-they-make crate....maybe a small dog isn't so bad.

Happy puppy-sitting.

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

The best thing about little dogs (besides their inability to stick their nose in your crotch) is that they don't knock you down when they're happy to see you again.

When I sit on the couch to read or watch a movie, they lie down right next to me, one on each side and the third curled up against the arm of the couch, and take a nap. Better yet, they don't try to sleep on the book I'm reading the way cats do.

Tsofah said...

OH! They are just adorable! HUGS to all of them!