Thursday, December 29, 2005

End of Year Recap

It's that time of year again, when everyone from the Mainstream Media down to individuals look back over the past year and look forward to the coming year. Bread Baker, Bill, calls this time between Christmas and New Year's the "Eye of the Hurricane."

Joe's Dartblog has a post with lots of links to year-in-review stories, so I won't bother to rehash all of those here (HT: Hugh Hewitt). Michelle Malkin has a couple options for the Story of the Year. Plus, she links to the Little Green Footballs post on getting the nominees narrowed down to only 20 for the Idiotarian of the Year Award (the Fiskie).

On a personal level, 2005 was the year my dad passed away and I had to learn to live without him. And I had to learn to see my mom on her own, without him.

It was the year I started blogging (January 4). The year my minivan blew its engine after nine years and 248,000 miles of faithful service and I found another one just like it with only 64,000 miles. The year I worked more overtime (unpaid) than I've probably worked in my entire career put together. The year I sold my first travel article with photos (unpaid, except for publication credits).

2005 has been a year of transition, both personally and in the larger arena. We have changes on the Supreme Court, a new Pope, and a new government (almost) in Iraq. 2006 will show us how these changes play out.

I don't mind putting this year behind me. And I haven't really given much thought to 2006--I'm too busy hanging out with my mom, who came here from Montana for the holidays.

Posting will be light for the next several days. Have a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Malott said...

After I read your post I went diving into your archives just a bit. I read "Sky High" from Feb 8th, sure that at any moment the meaning of "SkyPuppy" would jump out at me... guess not.

I appreciated the tenderness and care with which you treated Terri and her family through all those painful days.

I finally found what I was really looking for on Saturday, May 28th... when "Everything Changed." And then "At Home Now" on June 6th.

Your father surely was a very special man... a Christian man who asked questions, he evidently was sincerely interested in people. I'm sure that you were the joy in his life and that he was very proud of you.

Some day in a better place and time not so far away I want you to introduce him to me. He will probably ask me questions.

I hope your mother is doing well.

God bless you, and I pray your new year is wonderful.