Friday, March 18, 2005

Books on Tape

As I've said before, I listen to audio books on my commute, whenever Laura Ingraham and Hugh Hewitt aren't on the radio (including during most of the commercials). Because I'm cheap (and audio books are really expensive if you buy them at the bookstore), I depend on the public library for my supply of books to listen to. I've listened to a lot of non-fiction, most of which I never would have selected to sit down and read in book version, but oh, I'm so glad I listened to them! Here are some of my recommended books from the library's audio collection:

In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors - by Doug Stanton
The Indianapolis was torpedoed in the Pacific about 2 weeks before the end of World War II.

Five Days in London: May 1940 - by John Lukacs
This is during the five days when Winston Churchill first became Prime Minister and met with his cabinet to decide whether to keep fighting Hitler alone, or try to make some sort of peace with Germany.

The Inextinguishable Symphony: A True Story of Music and Love in Nazi Germany - by Martin Goldsmith
A biography of Goldsmith's parents, two Jews who survived Nazi Germany by playing in the Jewish orchestra.

Theodore Rex - by Edmund Morris
Book 2 in a biology trilogy of Theodore Roosevelt. This one covers his presidency. It begins the day he takes office when McKinley dies and ends the day he leaves office. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have books 1 or 3.

Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence - by Daniel Goleman, Annie McKee, Richard E. Boyatzis
Actually, as I listened to this one, I wished I had it in book form, because it had so much practical information that I wanted to write down and mull over.

Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - by Stephen E. Ambrose
Wonderful. This made me go out and buy the mini-series on DVD.

That's it for now. I haven't even hit the fiction, but I gotta get back to work.

No comments: