Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Our Military

"SARANAC LAKE, N.Y.--There are no longer generators running, or armored vehicles rumbling, or mortars exploding, and the roar of the silence is deafening to me. What I hear at night now is the gentle breaths released from the perfect lips of my sons. The same lips that I cannot kiss enough. The lips that make my eyes fill with tears every time they touch my cheeks."

So begins a column in the Wall Street Journal's Editorial Page, by Greg Moore. It's a beautiful piece about a soldier coming home from Iraq and the importance of his family. I recommend reading the whole thing.

What stands out for me, in addition to what Moore has to say, is the way this reveals the lie that's told by the Left (Schumer? Kennedy? The sound clips are running around my head, but I can't quite identify them.) that the military is manned by the hopeless poor who are unable to get a real job. Yes, Greg Moore is a member of the National Guard, which implies that he has a day job. But the quality of his writing reveals the kind of character and clear-headedness I see in the Marines who attend my church in Southern California.

Our military is not full of the oppressed, slack-jawed dolts that the Left would like us to believe. It is made up of strong, intelligent men and women who know their duty and strive to fulfill it honorably.

Another example of the quality of our military is David Rozelle, who lost a leg in Iraq and fought to come back to active duty, and is serving in Iraq again. His book, "Back in Action: An American Soldier's Story of Courage, Faith and Fortitude" tells the story.

I can't say enough about our military. And I can't thank them and their families enough for the sacrifices they make so that our nation and others can remain free.

May the Lord God bless them all.

No comments: