Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Lazy Weekend

OK. Saturday wasn't lazy. I baked bread--whole wheat rolls--from scratch, because I'm doing the South Beach diet, which calls for whole grains and no processed flour. The nice thing about baking is that I get more done on baking days, not counting the bread, than I usually do on non-baking days. The recipe is in The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book : A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking. I use one of the basic bread recipes and adapt it for rolls.

Knead the dough 600 times (yes, I count), then plop it in my biggest bowl to rise. That gives me two hours to run errands that are overdue. Press the dough to release the gasses, reshape it and stick it back in the bowl for another hour. More errands. Shape the dough into rolls, put them on the cookie sheets and let them rise for one more hour. Bake. Eat one. Throw most of them in the freezer, and head out the door just in time for my Saturday night plans.

Sunday, my church did a big Fourth of July extravaganza, with lots of flags and a military color guard and a video and the choir singing a song to tie it all together. There was one point in the program where we honored our military, past and present--boy, does our church love its military! It was so moving.

Nap after church. Watched "I, Robot" on DVD. Crocheted. Flipped to Fox News, but they kept saying the same thing from Aruba ("Our justice system is different from yours"), so I turned it off.

Monday, off to see "War of the Worlds" with the girls. Back home and gave our little dog, Abby a bath. She's been on some heart medication that gives her incontinence, so when she woke up when we got home, her side was wet. Eeeewww!!! Had to give her another bath later. Nap between Abby baths. Crocheted some more. Watched "Pirates of the Carribbean" on DVD. Didn't go out for fireworks, because I had to get up at 5 am and didn't want to be out too late.

I need weekends like this, where I fall behind on the news. By falling behind, my ire and indignation get a chance to recede to standard levels. I'm sure it's good for me. But I'm back now. Lazy weekend is over.

No comments: