Saturday, September 09, 2006

Back from the Mountaintop

It turns out I overestimated the number of my close Christian friends by a whole lot. The Arrowhead Pond (home of the Mighty Ducks) held about 18,000 women, not 40,000. We had a group of eight from our church.

As we walked from our car to the door of the arena, we passed a man who had hand-printed signs saying that Women of Faith is the road to Hell. I didn't get any more details than that, so I'm not sure exactly what part of Women of Faith makes it that road. He didn't deter us from attending.

I won't go into the details of who the speakers were or what they said. I'm still pondering all those things in my heart. But there was somebody new this year who captured the audience.

Her name is Lisa Smith, she has Down's Syndrome, and she uses American Sign Language to sign some of the songs from the two days' program. She poured her heart into it, making beautiful, sweeping signs as Sandi Patty sang the crescendo of "How Great Thou Art" or as Avalon sang a couple of their songs.

It got me to thinking, as I watched her sweet, sweet smile when the audience cheered her, that if many policy-makers had their way, people like Lisa wouldn't be here. Having Down's Syndrome has become an abortable offense. LifeSite reported in April, 2005, on a study showing doctors had a bias toward abortion when informing parents of a potentially positive test for the condition.

Such testing, however, does not give a certain diagnosis of Down's Syndrome, but only a percentage possibility. Nevertheless, the abortion rate with even an uncertain pre-natal Down's Syndrome diagnosis is extremely high, with some studies showing as many as 90% of children aborted.

This year's theme for the Women of Faith conferences is, "Contagious Joy," and Lisa Smith epitomized that theme for me. Without her, this year's event would have lost some of its lustre. It's hard to imagine just how much joy has been lost to the world because we've aborted too many Lisa Smiths.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Lisa Smith - she was a joy and gave me joy watching her enthusiasm and love for her ministry and the Lord.
I was in Anaheim and saw the sign posting men outside. Talking to one of the WOF workers, he said many of these Protestor's follow Sandy Patty around, obviously forgetting Jesus'statement about "casting the first stone." He said some of them are against women preaching the Word - I might emphasize a wee bit if it were a men's conference but not teaching a group of women.

SkyePuppy said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for the insight on the WOF protesters. It's a shame they haven't got anything better to do with their time.

I got so much out of the conference, and it sounds like you did too.

Anonymous said...

I heard Joni Ericson Tada speak once, it changed my life and those of the friends I begged to attend. We were in HS and opted out of a class and got credit for her presentation. It was the most important decision I'd ever made, only being 18 and all.

When I think I "can't".... anything, I remember that day and how she changed my life and my heart.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know of a web site where i can watch Lisa Smith sign?

Anonymous said...

I went to WoF in OKC last weekend. This is the second conference for me, and the second time to see Lisa Smith. She's such a joy! It's contagious!

I found your site by Googling her name. She doesn't seem to have her own site yet, but you can find her email on this page: http://www.womenoffaith.com/whatsnew/

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I found your site trying to find more about Lisa. I just attented WOF in St.Paul and was so moved by Lisa. She is "contagious Joy". I am reminded of a time when pregnant with my first child and was given test results that the doctor only told me to "talk to my husband about termination of the pregnancy". That was my advise just because the baby might have a disability. I work with people with disabilities. I thought "God, just because I enjoy working with them doesn't mean I want one!" An angel came to me at work,her name was Sara. As I sat there usleless at work, my most incapable of students put her arms around me, not knowing what my trouble was, and uttered the only full sentence I had heard her in months, "it will be okay, everything will work out" I thought, had her mother been advised to abort her? And then I knew, everything would be alright. Thank the Lord my children turned out healthy but I think of all the joys, like Lisa & Sara, the world would have missed out on. Sara may not ever be on a stage in front of thougsands, but she helped me through the toughest days of my life. Something to think about as election time rolls around. Who are the people in 'power' that allow for such insane options such as abortion on the grounds that our child may not be perfect or 'a burden on society'?

SkyePuppy said...

Anonymous,

Thank you for sharing your story. Sometimes the greatest joy comes out of our struggles, and great blessings come from the least of these.

Lisa Smith was on the lips of everyone in our group after WOF. That young lady upstaged them all!

I'm glad you stopped by. Feel free to come back again.

Jen said...

I used to attend WOF at Anaheim every year. I went this year to the one in Phoenix where I now live and saw Lisa there. I found your blog through googling her name to read more. I'm a brand new reader but I think I am going to enjoy reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

I just attended the WOF conference in PHX. And I agree that Lisa Smith touched me more than all the speakers combined and she never had to say a word. I was thinking as I watched her signing that her joy was literally contagious. I would love to see more of her. I hope she continues to have opportunity to enlightened "normal" people.