Monday, September 04, 2006

Deep Pockets



I have new sheets.

My bed has a pillow-top mattress, and it's a pain for fitted sheets. The flannel sheets do fine, but summer is hardly flannel-sheet season. So I've been struggling with the summer sheets, every year, because the corners creep up during the night. If I don't pull them back down every morning or two, they pop off while I'm sleeping and I wake up to a wrinkled mess in the morning. I really hate that.

The last time I was at Target, I saw that they had some sheets on sale, probably closing out last year's fashionable colors. But I noticed that the packaging for these blue stripe sheets said, "Deep Pockets."

My imagination ran away with me. I had visions of fitted sheets with the elastic going all the way down below the bottom of the mattress. I pictured how good it would feel to wake up in the morning with the corners of my sheets exactly where they were when I fell asleep. I dared to hope for a better life (albeit with last year's colors) all because of one small purchase.

The sheets leaped off the shelf and into my cart. And now they're on my bed.

It's been two nights, and as you can see, the corners are exactly where they're supposed to be. Not halfway up the side. Not popped up on top and partway toward the middle of the bed.

This is just one more piece of proof that one of my main philosophies of life is true:

When your pleasures are simple, then life is full of pleasure.

Let me tell you, with deep pockets, life is good!

5 comments:

Malott said...

They look as if they would be cool to the touch and very smooth. I'm ready for a nap.

SkyePuppy said...

Charlie,

Yes, I'm easy to please. Some people treat that as a bad thing (as in simple-minded), but it's not.

Chris,

I hope you enjoyed your nap. Glad that I could inspire so noble an endeavor.

Skye,

I've heard that about happiness too. Even though I don't enjoy my job, I savor several cups of tea (British-style, with cream and sweetener) during the day, laugh with my co-workers, and blog at lunchtime. And Friday on my way into the office from the parking garage, there was a butterfly flying over the ground cover. It was brown with rounded wings and a yellow stripe on the leading edge of the wings. When I left in the afternoon, the same butterfly was still there, no doubt waiting for me come back and admire him.

It's those things that make a day (even a workday) worth living and remind me yet again that there is a God and He is good to me.

Christina said...

Congrats on the new sheets. They are a simple but wonderful luxury, to be certain. I have found great joy in our newer 500 or 600 count sheets. I never new luxury like that existed, but even now, months later, I still feel a little like royalty when I get into bed each night. (Or course, the best part of those sheets is that they were ridiculously cheep at T.J. Maxx!)

Christina said...

Oops..I do know that "cheap" is not spelled with two "ee's"...Dang fingers!

SkyePuppy said...

Skye,

Thanks for that link to Diane's post. Bamboo... Hmmm...

Sadly, my new deep pockets are a paltry 200 count, but I'm happy to overlook that, because they stay where they belong. God loves obedience, and so do I.