Monday, December 19, 2005

A Christmas Carol

The radio news guy said this morning that on this date in 1843, "A Christmas Carol" was first published. That's 162 glorious years of Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim, and the cantankerous but reformable Ebenezer Scrooge.

I did an IMDB search on "Christmas Carol" and got 46 matches, from the classic 1938 movie to more recent gems like the Muppets' Christmas Carol. Naturally, there are oodles of TV versions.

Bugs Bunny, the Flintstones, and even the Jetsons have performed this story, but my favorite version of all--TV or movie--is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. I have it on DVD.

The songs (yes, Mr. Magoo is in a musical) are wonderful. The early scene with Bob Cratchit asking Mr. Scrooge for one more piece of coal ends with the two of them singing at the same time. Mr. Scrooge is singing, "...coins when they mingle make such a lovely sound...," and Bob Cratchit is singing, "Please, Mr. Scrooge, it's cold, it's cold, it's cold." Perfect.

But my favorite song from this show is sung by little Ebenezer in Christmas Past. He's all alone in the schoolroom, and he sings,

A hand for each hand was planned for the world,
So why don't my fingers reach?
Millions of grains of sand in the world,
Why such a lonely beach?
Where is a voice to answer mine back?
Where are two shoes that click to my clack?
I'm all alone in the world.

I cry every time. Always have. Always will.

If Charles Dickens had not written another word besides this short story, he would still deserve endless thanks and admiration. "A Christmas Carol" is a treasure that shines bright year after year.

5 comments:

Malott said...

Redemptive transformation is such a moving and beautiful thing.

I remember the Mr Magoo Christmas Carol but I haven't seen it since I was in Jr High.

I saw Albert Finney in Scrooge at the Markland Theater in Kokomo in 1971, I think... I was a Junior and I took Stefi, a Senior. ...Thank you very much...

I think you've inspired me to acquire both.

Anonymous said...

I have been nostalgic for random, childhood songs of disney and other origin and typed in the lyrics for that magoo's christmas carol song and got your website. I haven't seen the movie in a zillion years, like a ton of other childhood cartoons, but am stuck with the music. Every once in a while I sing it with my other jumbled repetoire. Along with some interesting songs from "Mickey and the Beanstalk"
Well I am glad someone else out there appreciates this stuff

SkyePuppy said...

Tara-Sharon,

Many of these shows are available on DVD, and the Christmas ones will be in the stores soon (if they're not there already). But you might need to order Mr. Magoo from Amazon, because most of the stores don't carry his version of A Christmas Carol. I don't know why.

I'm glad you stopped by. You're welcome back any time.

Leviathan said...

I found your post and really appreciated the flood of memories and good feelings that were associated with the old show. Too bad it seems to be rarely on anymore. The cast and lyrics were wonderful. It has always brightened the holiday for me. Because of Mr. Magoo I fell in love with Dicken's Christmas Carol. I agree that the Muppet version is great. Did you know that Dickens was a christian and that he wrote a book for his children that was a paraphrasing of the nativity story in Luke. I have found many biblical nuggets in the tale. Thank you again and enjoy your travels. Remember as long as He Lives we are never "all alone in the world"!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Leviathan said...

This classic has been one of my favorites if not my favorite. I was particularly pleased by the wonderful cast and marvelous lyrics. Thank you for your post as it brought back many warm thoughts and memories. Because he lives I know that I am not "all alone in this world". God bless and happy traveling.