Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Supporting the Troops

I listen to Laura Ingraham's radio show on my way to work every day, and this week Laura is in Iraq visiting our troops.

She had an interview with a Colonel (I didn't catch his name, because I was driving) whose unit is training the Iraqi Army's tank unit. One thing the Colonel said was that Hungary donated some Soviet-era tanks to the Iraqi Army, and these were the tanks they were training on while Laura was conducting the interview. I love hearing about how our (nonexistent, if you listen to the Democrats) allies are contributing to the war effort as well as to the rebuilding effort in Iraq.

In another segment, Laura had her studio fill-in, Jed Babbin, take calls from listeners while she had soldiers live via satellite phone. The callers to the show got to talk to the troops, and vice versa.

One caller told the troops that his young son and his friends had taken down all their superhero posters--Superman, Batman, Spiderman--and put up pictures of our soldiers. "You're the new superheroes," the dad said, and the soldiers let out a loud whoop behind Laura.

And then came my favorite quote from the exchange. One of the soldiers (I didn't catch his name either) came on and said to us here at home, "Don't let those whiny, Marxist sycophants lose this for us."

You've got it, Soldier!

No comments: