Thursday, July 06, 2006

Ann Coulter's Interview

I look forward every week to Ann Coulter's column in WorldNetDaily's commentary section. It's that day again today. I like her columns because sometimes she says the kind of things I'm thinking but would never have the nerve to say out loud (my parents raised me to be nice, and outside of a lapse during my teen years, it's a lesson I've tried to follow). Other times she says the kind of things I wish I could think of.

This week she is publishing Part 1 of the interview the New York Post (not the Times) conducted with her but never published. Before starting the interview, though, she offers her opinion of the Post:

How crappy a newspaper is the Post? Let me put it this way: It's New York's second-crappiest paper.

The interview strikes me as a little strange, because there's not much follow-up. The Post's reporter asks questions, Ann gives a provocative answer, and then the reporter is on to the next question. In light of RightWingNews's interview of Coulter via email, I suspect the Post may also have interviewed her by email. Here are a couple examples of what I mean:

NY POST: Your characterization of liberals paints them as extremists. But with people like Pat Robertson telling us how God keeps telling him who He's angry at, isn't it fair to say that there are extremists on both sides?

A: Pat Robertson opposes capital punishment, opposed the impeachment of Bill Clinton and supports trade with China, just for starters. Seems like a pretty mixed bag to me. So what makes you call him extreme? That he believes he has dialogue with the Lord? Do liberals now call anyone who thinks this an "extremist"?

NY POST: Do you believe there is a political middle? If so, how would you define it?

***

NY POST: You speak in the book of "Muslims' predilection for violence," accepting it as a given. But many would argue that many Muslims, in this country and others, lead average, everyday lives, and denounce violence. How is painting all Muslims as violent any different than looking at the Crusades, or at any of the Christian extremist groups around today, and saying, "All Christians are murderers"?

A: Quite obviously, referring to "Muslims' predilection for violence" is not the same as saying, "All Christians are murderers." It would be the same if I had said, "All Muslims are murderers." You didn't do too well on the analogies section of the SATs, did you?

NY POST: You say that "without a fundamental understanding of man's place in the world" (by which you mean God), we risk being lured into, among other things, slavery. But weren't the American slaveholders devout Christians?

For the reporter's sake, I hope this was an email interview. Because if it wasn't, then this reporter belongs at the second crappiest newspaper in New York. Are reporters afraid to interview Ann Coulter in person? Is that what this is about? I dunno, but it's starting to look that way.

I'll finish with the beginning question and answer, because I really like it:

NY POST: Vitriol aside for a moment, how would you define a liberal, politically speaking?

A: Naive, misinformed fanatical Mother Earth-worshipers and fervent America-haters – and those are their good traits.

5 comments:

Bryan Alexander said...

If only we could all be as witty as Ann Coulter.

janice said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
janice said...

I too wish I could be as quick witted as Ann. She has her finger on the pulse of the American left and "moonbats". After 9/11 she was quoted as saying
"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Chrisianity". Again, I know I was thinking it and Ann had the nerve to say it.
I love it!

Malott said...

I want to read Ann's book, but I'm afraid the biting sarcasm would be much too contagious and I would be subsequently transformed into an even more obnoxious and annoying human being.

She is definitely a national treasure.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

I'm on the last chapter of her book, and the bite marks will heal.

I'll have to leave it to you to decide if the experience transforms me into something obnoxious.