Friday, February 23, 2007

Waiting for Wilberforce

My daughter and I went to see Amazing Grace at the movie theater a couple towns over, because theater we usually go to isn't showing the movie. We got to the theater about 6:30 for the 7:00 show, but it was sold out, and neither one of us was up to waiting for the 10:00 show. So we got our tickets for tomorrow's 1 pm show and came back home.

Even though I was disappointed at missing the movie tonight, I wasn't disappointed too much, because it means Hollywood will be sent a message: America wants to see top quality films that tell a positive story.

Most of the time, if Christians are shown at all, they're depicted as loons or other Undesirables. They're often the bad guy, or they're judgmental, legalistic creeps. Hollywood can't seem to make a movie about faith without injecting their own cynical derision into the story.

But Amazing Grace promises something different. It promises to tell the story of one man's twenty-six year battle to end the slave trade in England--a battle driven by faith.

I had hoped to have a movie review posted tonight, but it can wait. Because I must wait.

More to come...

2 comments:

Rene said...

Good to hear it seems to be drawing well. Me and a couple of friends are thinking of seeing it Sunday night figuring the rest of Los Angeles will be watching the Oscars at home or at some Oscar party leaving the movie houses open? We shall see if our hypothesis is right!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Hopefully I will see it this Friday night. I rarely go see movies, these days.