Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good Question

I had to take my car in to get a smog check, so I called the repair shop where my daughter takes her car (mine usually goes to the dealer, but that was too far to drive this morning before work) and got their recommendation for a smog check place.

I went there this morning, and it was a Christian-owned shop. On both sides of the front door, taped to the inside of the windows, were printer papers that said, "No Soliciting. This Means You." It made me wonder just who it was who came selling stuff and what they sold and why they didn't think it should count for them, but I didn't get a chance to ask, because the lady went to the back when she finished doing my paperwork.

I made sure not to solicit while I was there.

They had the Calvary Chapel radio station on the speaker system, with a preacher I didn't recognize. I was reading a book, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the preacher, and his voice was drowned out when the smog test on the car before mine got loud.

But there was a moment of calm, when the preacher asked a good question for all those people who cling to their sins: "When has your sin ever truly made your life better?" And he invited his listeners to email him if it has.

Naturally, he doesn't expect to receive any replies. I certainly won't be sending one.

1 comment:

Tsofah said...

Skye:

I've been sitting here thinking and.... no, I don't think I'll be emailing him either :-D

To quote my father: "I thought I was wrong once, but I was just mistaken." (small chuckle)

Don't want to admit my sin to a stranger, of course. But, I agree that sin has never made my life better either.