Wednesday, February 23, 2005

New Rules

My work is really doing me wrong with their new password rules. The old ones were bad enough. You couldn't have the same letter twice in a row, which meant I couldn't use my dog Abby's name because of the double 'B' in the middle.

OK, then. I used my childhood pet Fifi as the basis (it had to be exactly 8 characters and have some numbers or special characters or whatever). Life was good. Until they came up with the latest, which says you can't have repeating 2-character patterns, like abab or 1212. Or fifi.

So now what? My cats were named Quackenbush and Wickersham. Too many letters. I need some kind of easy-to-remember foundation in my password, so I have a chance of getting it right when I first get to work and haven't yet had a jolt of strong caffeinated tea.

So I searched through the old family tree until I found a name that will work (no, I'm not telling). But my fingers still pound out fifi every time I get back to the "you've been gone too long, so enter your password" screen. I'm at risk of violating the "Invalid Password" maximum limit.

I tell you, sometimes life has more challenge than I can handle.

Until I look at Terri Schiavo. Password Schmassword. It's not that important.

No comments: