Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Scotland

My 2005 calendar is A Picture-A-Day(R) Wall Calendar of Great Britain, and today I remembered to flip it to November. This month has pictures of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.

I've been to England, Ireland, and Scotland before, but not to Northern Ireland or Wales. And I've enjoyed the pictures of the other months, seeing so many places I haven't visited yet but would love to see sometime. But this month's pictures are stirring a yearning in my heart in a way that England's pictures didn't.

There's a certain wildness to Scotland, a wind that whips across heathered hills. Even on the sunniest and stillest of days, the weathered land whispers a promise of gale storms coming, of a chill and a downpour and a reason to spend the day indoors by a fire, sipping a cup of tea.

My calendar reminds me of the month I spent there--before children--bicycling on nearly deserted roads. It reminds me of rugged cliffs at the ocean's edge, of castle ruins on the Isle of Skye that once belonged to distant ancestors, of turbulent clouds and reflecting ponds and stone-built walls and cottages.

I ache as I look at the scenes of November. And I long to check airfares and look at the vacation schedule here at work and pick a time to go. But it wouldn't be long enough. Only a week to explore new islands and smell the earthy scent of peat and feel the wind bring color to my cheeks, only to have to come back home again.

Not long enough by a long shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On your post on Scotland. I know the feeling. My wife is from Buckie and we go back every couple of years. If we were rich, we would live half the year there. I've got this great picture of the Westcoast that I use the couple of days Islandfocus.co.uk is late with the calendar. The highlands, oh yes. Boy, did you post hit home. Have a great day.