Friday, January 06, 2006

Correction

I have to make a correction.

As someone who is critical of the Standard Operating Procedures of the Mainstream Media, it's my duty to behave the way I expect them to behave. And part of that is giving my corrections the same emphasis I gave the misinformation when I first posted it. So here it is:

On December 17, 2005, in my post entitled, "Movie Choices," I said the following:

One little note: Brokeback Mountain is already gone from the local theater. It only lasted a week. The talking lion and the giant gorilla shoved the gay cowboy movie aside. Good.

I based this conclusion on the fact that somewhere on the internet, possibly IMDB, reported December 9, 2005 as the day this movie opened, and on December 16, my local theater multiplex (which had shown previews and had movie posters for it in the lobby) was not showing it. I didn't expect movies not to actually open when they open.

This week Brokeback Mountain is, indeed, opening at the local multiplex. I hope it bombs. The celebration of adultery (straight or gay), which leaves families wounded and in tatters, is the wrong message to be sending.

No comments: