Sunday, January 29, 2006

Movie Longevity

It's Sunday, and that usually (not always) means going to the movies after church. Today, my friend who is my most frequent movie companion was still out of town staying with her granddaughter while the parents were away on a retreat. The two of us are the regulars who go to the movies, and our other friends join us now and then, depending on what we're going to see and what other plans they have.

So today I went with another friend who still hadn't seen Walk the Line. This was my second time, and I loved it just as much this time as I did the first.

What surprised me was that Walk the Line is still in my local movie theater. It opened November 18, 2005. It's now January 29, 2006, and the 3:20pm show was pretty-well filled. The main section (stadium seating) was crowded enough that a lot of people had to sit in the front section. More than two months after it opened!

Meanwhile, Tristan + Isolde, which I wanted to see, opened January 13, and is already gone from the theater. Too many new movies opening this weekend, I suppose, and this one didn't seem to get much publicity.

The long-time movies still playing, besides Walk the Line, are The Chronicles of Narnia and King Kong.

You'd think that Hollywood might get a clue someday about what kind of movies normal Americans want to see. We like inspirational movies, movies that we don't have to worry about being disgusted or grossed-out by. We like movies that are uplifting rather than degrading. If Hollywood could only figure that out, they'd make a TON of money. And we'd feel safe going to the movies again.

If only....

Update:

We also want movies like Mr & Mrs Smith, with shooting and explosions and lots of broken glass.

No comments: