Thursday, November 01, 2007

Dog Saves Toddler from Deadly Snake

The Daily Mail (UK) reported today on a family dog who saved the family toddler.

The drama happened as 17-month-old Charlotte played in the garden of her home near the Australian city of Cairns when Khan began to bristle.

He had spotted the king brown snake - the world's third most venomous - about to strike from its hiding place beneath their house.

Mrs Svillicic said yesterday: "Khan was really concentrating and was acting aggressively towards Charlotte-and kept trying to nudge her but it wasn't working.

"So he grabbed her by the back of the nappy [diaper] and threw her over his shoulder more than a metre, like she was a rag doll."

At that point the snake leapt out, Mrs Svillicic added. "Charlotte looked pretty shocked and Khan screamed, like he'd been stabbed.

"I realised he had been trying to get in between her and the snake before he threw her."

The dog received a shot of anti-venom from a vet and made a full recovery.

Great story. I love this stuff. Especially the happily ever after part.

1 comment:

janice said...

What a great story!

Gotta love the protective instincts of our K9 family members!