Friday, October 20, 2006

One Through Ten

Skye (no relation) posted this list of ten questions that she got from Walker, who got them from Fizzy. I love this sort of thing. From past experience, most of you don't, so I won't ask you to play. But here's mine:

Tell me 1 piece of information about yourself that I really should never know.
None of your business.

Tell me 2 colors that you would never ever ever wear.
1) Yellow-orange. It makes me look like I'm sick.
2) Battleship gray. It makes me look like death warmed over.

Tell me 3 things that you love to eat.
1) Chocolate
2) Guacamole
3) Galumkas (stuffed cabbage rolls)

Tell me 4 things that you would never ever serve to a guest at your dinner table.
1) Beets
2) Navy bean soup
3) Organ meats
4) Flan

Tell me 5 things that you keep forgetting to buy from the supermarket.
1) Black pepper
2) String cheese
3) Yogurt
4) Fat-free Half & Half
5) Cough syrup

Tell me 6 things about the autumn that you love.
I'm going to answer this as though I still lived in a place with real seasons.
1) The leaves turning colors
2) The bite of the cold in the air
3) The smell of wood fires burning in people's fireplaces
4) The delicate sound of birch leaves when you scuff your feet through them
5) The raucus sound of maple leaves when you scuff your feet through them
6) The way the sound of maple leaves drown out the sound of birch leaves when they're mixed together, and how that says a lot about people too

Tell me 7 things that you value about your family.
1) They know me and still love me
2) I know them and still love them
3) My brother and sister each married someone I'm thankful to have in my family
4) My parents took us to church with them every Sunday when we were kids
5) My parents didn't force their opinions on me, but gave me the space to wrestle with my own opinions
6) We traveled as a family--sometimes to visit far-flung family, and sometimes to see parts of the country
7) Their support and encouragement through my hard times (and the good times)
That's not everything. It's just the first seven that came to mind.

Tell me 8 things that you like to watch on TV.
Oy! I'm not sure I watch that many things.
1) Special Report with Brit Hume
2) What Not To Wear
3) Project Runway
4) While You Were Out
5) House (my daughter got me on this one)
6) Trading Spaces (sometimes)
7) The Beltway Boys
8) News Watch

Tell me 9 things that you loved about school.
1) Being on the Speech Team in high school
2) Being in plays
3) Going to high school football and basketball games
4) Learning French
5) Learning the sign language alphabet (with my left hand) from the deaf girl in grade school
6) Playing on all the grade school playground equipment that's banned now, because somebody might get hurt
7) The field trip one of my high school classes took around Montana, where we visited a Hutterite colony and also the coal strip-mining town
8) The fact that Montana only required two years (not four) of PE for graduation
9) The trampoline in high school gymnastics

Tell me 10 of the little things that you love about life.
1) Drinking a cup of hot tea
2) Hearing little kids laughing
3) Pansies
4) Seeing the twinkle in a friend's eye and knowing something good is coming
5) Feeling the twinkle come to my eye
6) Having my little dog Abby sleeping beside me
7) Watching the ocean during my commute by train--it never gets old
8) Kneading bread dough
9) The way the sky in Montana gets so blue sometimes, my heart aches from the beauty of it
10) Knowing there are people I've never met in person who have become (or are becoming) friends, because we read each other's blogs

What a world!

Feel free to answer the questions yourself. Feel free not to.

5 comments:

Walker said...

Lurker is just another word for STALKER.

I started laughing at the first one
Btw I am sitting here reading this and eating cabbage rolls. Go figure.
What's Project Runway, some kind of Airport series?
I think I better run now.

Have a nice weekend

SkyePuppy said...

Skye,

"No relation" is what you said on your blog the first time you mentioned me.

Flan (to me) has the consistency of snot. Can't. Won't. Take your pick.

SkyePuppy said...

Walker,

You're such a guy! Project Runway is on Bravo network. It's a reality show where fashion designers compete (and are eliminated) to have their own fashion line. It's a fashion runway, not an airline runway.

janice said...

I didn't know Maple and Birch sounded different, I'll have to try it.

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

I may have noticed it, because I didn't grow up where there are seasons. Grade school & junior high were in San Diego, then when I was in high school, my dad retired from the Navy and we moved to Montana, so I learned the seasons (and the sound of leaves) as a teenager and not as somebody who had them all her life.

Maple leaves remind me of crows or those loud people who dominate conversations. Birch leaves remind me of distant wind chimes or those quiet people whose silence hides profound thoughts. And when you mingle them together, which ones do you hear? And what do you miss out on?