Saturday, May 28, 2005

Everything Changed

I spent the day at the zoo with three friends, taking pictures and trying not to spend too much money. We looked at the reptiles on the way to the sea lion show, then saw monkeys, gorillas, pandas, and the underwater bellies of ducks in the hippo exhibit. Polar bears, gazelles, boars, and sleeping wallabies. It was a fabulous day, not too hot for walking in the sun.

As we waited in line for the sky ride to take us back to the zoo exit, I got a phone call from my sister. My mom had come home from her volunteer time at the thrift shop and found my dad in the driveway, dead. He hadn't even been sick.

It's all different now. My mom has always been the communication link in the family, but my dad was the strength and wisdom. I counted on him to help me with the hard questions in life: What to do when my income was chopped in half and I was losing sleep over my finances. What kind of career change to make and what the timing should be. And now, should I fly up for the funeral, or drive? He would know--or rather, he would help me to realize that I knew.

Suddenly, judicial nominations and politics and a culture going astray have all jumped into the back seat. In my life, they pale in comparison. My Daddy is gone, and my mom is hurting, and nothing else really matters to me right now.

Posting will be very light for the next couple weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are all thinking of you and your mom.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I too wanted to let you know that my thoughts are prayers are with you and your Mom -- Mary

Anonymous said...

Cindy was nice enought to pass along your blog. What a shocker about your dad! My heart goes out to you and your family, Brenda at this time of bereavement. Both my parents are gone. I still have thoughts of them periodically and the happy times we had together. Your dad is still with you in spirit. Have a safe trip home. See you next week! Clay