Sunday, August 14, 2005

Cindy Sheehan Is Losing It

I haven't posted yet on Cindy Sheehan, the mother of fallen soldier Casey Sheehan. The news media has been giving her plenty of publicity. But according to today's news, she's gone farther off the deep end than ever.

WorldNetDaily reports that Cindy Sheehan isn't simply blaming President Bush for her son's death (which she has done before), but now she's vowing not to pay her taxes because of this:

"My son was killed in 2004. I am not paying my taxes for 2004," Sheehan told an audience of Veterans for Peace. "You killed my son, George Bush, and I don't owe you a penny. ... You give my son back and I'll pay my taxes. Come after me [for back taxes] and we'll put this war on trial."

She added later,

"And the other thing I want [President Bush] to tell me is 'just what was the noble cause Casey died for?' Was it freedom and democracy? Bullsh--! He died for oil. He died to make your friends richer. He died to expand American imperialism in the Middle East. We're not freer here, thanks to your Patriot Act. Iraq is not free. You get America out of Iraq and Israel out of Palestine and you'll stop the terrorism," she said.

"There, I used the 'I' word – imperialism. And now I'm going to use another 'I' word – impeachment – because we cannot have these people pardoned. They need to be tried on war crimes and go to jail."

Powerline quotes an article from FrontPage, which quotes Cindy Sheehan:

"We have no Constitution. We’re the only country with no checks and balances. We want our country back if we have to impeach George Bush down to the person who picks up the dog sh-t in Washington! Let George Bush send his two little party animals to die in Iraq. It’s OK for Israel to have nuclear weapons but we are waging nuclear war in Iraq, we have contaminated the entire country. It’s not OK for Syria to be in Lebanon. Hypocrites! But Israel can occupy Palestine? Stop the slaughter!"

I can't imagine Cindy Sheehan's loss. Having recently lost my father suddenly, I can only begin to know what she feels, because losing your parents is the way life works. Losing your children is against the natural order of life and has to be so incredibly more painful.

I've heard people saying that it's been a year now, and Cindy Sheehan should be getting over it by now, but it doesn't work that way. I know people who lost a child 13 years ago, and they say it's not something you get over. You just learn to keep on living.

That said, I can't help but see Cindy Sheehan as a woman whose grief or ideology (or both) has driven her off the cliff at the Left edge of the earth. The severely Left-wing groups appear to have nurtured Sheehan's radical beliefs, and that nurturing has been fed by a mostly friendly media that allows Sheehan full vent to her ideas. Without any reins put on her rants, Sheehan has run headlong down the path of extreme ideology.

The more the MSM allows a public forum for Sheehan to keep talking, the more people will see what she stands for and be repulsed. Even the rest of her family has disavowed her views.

Keep talking, Cindy.

No comments: