Thursday, March 22, 2007

Grand Canyon Skywalk

20 Mar 2007 REUTERS/Jeff Topping


My mom and I have to try this!

I found this photo in the Reuters top pictures of the day yesterday and saved it. Here's the caption that accompanied the photo:

Members of the media get a view from the Skywalk after dedication ceremonies at the Grand Canyon West on the Hualapai Indian Reservation in Arizona, March 20, 2007. When visitors step out on the new U-shaped observation platform, they will be standing on all-glass flooring suspended 4,000 feet above the Colorado River.

A quick Google turned up the official website for the Skywalk, which says the gravity-defying walkway opens to the public March 28, 2007.

I'm starting to think that Arizona (and maybe New Mexico too) isn't a good destination for July and August. We might want to save our visit to Arizona for a cooler time of the year and bring my sister along for that part of the trip, so she can go out beyond the cliff with us.

Of course, if we really gather up the nerve to go out on the Skywalk, I'm sure I'll be white-knuckling the railing on my walk around the loop...

10 comments:

Bekah said...

I got dizzy just thinking about it! My hands actually got cold just imagining it. But even though I would probably be scared out of my mind, what a fun thing it would be to walk on it!

SkyePuppy said...

Bekah,

I'm right there with you on the "dizzy, scared out of my mind, fun thing."

paw said...

Oh no, I think high summer is the perfect time to be there, weather-wise. That is what the place is, hot and dry - then go when it's hot and dry, I say.

Another great time is right after daylight savings time ends. The amenities in the parks of the four corners area are still open for a couple weeks but they are deserted. You can get same day (!!!) reservations in the lodges of Zion and Bryce. Bring people you love and stay at Bryce when it's empty, and have dinner in the main lodge, and go for a walk after dark. If not now, sometime. That time of year you can drive your vehicle in the parks rather than riding the shuttles - they are closed to private vehicles much of the year - I can't recommend highly enough the converible Mustang for a late October four corners trip. Its a secret though, ok?

SkyePuppy said...

PAW,

When my kids were little, I took them the first week of November on a driving vacation to the Grand Canyon, Bryce & Zion. I kept wondering why the turnouts in Bryce kept saying to angle-in to park, when there was nobody else parking anywhere. It was perfect!

All_I_Can_Stands said...

Count me in. I have been planning a Grand Canyon jaunt this year and I can't wait to get on the skywalk!

Sorry, addicted to adrenaline.

Malott said...

Dang!

Can't stand heights. I could get out on that thing, but when I got off they would have to get out the mop and the Windex.

All_I_Can_Stands said...

CF,

Are you off your meds? I know it is hard to face the reality that you can't support the things you claim, but please follow doctors orders. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

If you and I went there at the same time, I'd be sure to crawl in front of you, not behind.

ChuckL said...

It's pretty pricey, IMHO.

http://www.destination
grandcanyon.com/
tours.html

SkyePuppy said...

Chuck,

You're right. The packages certainly are pricey. Just the Skywalk itself is $25. Plus admission to the reservation (I'm not sure what that is).

But I looked at the link you sent and noticed the fine print that said "14 miles of unpaved road" to get to the Skywalk. Hmmm....

Then again, what's it worth to scare yourself out of your mind 4,000 feet over the Grand Canyon? Priceless.