Saturday, March 03, 2007

Possum Problem


This morning I took out a heavy trash bag and nearly dropped it on this wretched creature in the garbage can. I have no doubt it would have killed him.

It's been over a decade since I've seen a possum in a garbage can. When I was married, we used to get them now and then on the day after Garbage Day, because they came from the big, empty field by our house. They'd climb in from the steps by the back door, and then they couldn't get back out. So we'd call the animal control people, and they'd take the possum away for us.

One time, I asked the guy where they took the possums, and he said, "Oh, we have a restaurant down the road...." Animal Control Humor! Then he said they take the critters out to a field away from houses and let them go there.

So I called the animal control people today, expecting the same, but the service has deteriorated since then. The lady told me to tip the garbage can over and let him wander away, which he'll do tonight, since they're nocturnal beasts.

Great! Won't he just turn around and rummage through the garbage again? Nasty things...

4 comments:

Christina said...

Eeewwww!!!!!!

I can only imagine your surprise at finding that little rodent in your trashcan. Not the kind of surprise one generally wants.

The best part of this story, however, is how blogging has turned us all into photographers. Once upon a time, you probably never would have thought to grab your camera, but I bet this time, that was the first, or maybe second thing to pop into your mind...right after "AHHHHH! Hey....this will make a great post on my blog. I'd better go get my camera!"

Thanks for sharing!

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

You're so right. My first thought after the "Ahhh!" was relief at not having possum guts smashed into the bottom of the garbage can. It was later, when I was showing the possum to my son, that I thought about grabbing the camera, because, "Hey....this will make a great post on my blog."

Malott said...

There are few things more disgusting than an opossum (Didelphis marsupialis, as we say in Greentown) The big ones around here are mean and will just "tear up" a dog.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

It's usually the juveniles that get themselves caught in the garbage can. The big ones seem to be able to get back out (or are smart enough--doubtful--not to climb in, in the first place). Lucky for Abby, I took her outside and back in before I tipped the garbage can over (as I held the broom as a defensive weapon, just in case it decided to attack) to let the nasty beast get away.