Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Boxer v. Rice

Last night on the way home from work, I listened to Hugh Hewitt's radio show, and he played lots of clips of the various senators grilling Condoleeza Rice during her confirmation hearing. Sen. Biden droned on and on before he asked a simple question. Sen. Kerry displayed immense pomposity in the process of his questioning of Dr. Rice. But Sen. Boxer, the newly re-elected senator from California, took the cake. Here's a transcript.

I decided last night that I wasn't going to post about her, because my mama raised me to be nice. But then Laura Ingraham played many of the same clips from the hearing this morning while I was driving to work. So I've got Barbara Boxer's voice running through my head, and I'm repeatedly appalled by her.

I don't have time to go point-by-point through the transcript (it's my lunch hour), but I have got to wonder why anybody ever voted for this woman. Thrice! She's been in office for 12 years, and if anybody ever listened to her say anything, they wouldn't vote for her to save their life. I still haven't decided if she's as unintelligent as she sounds (between her and a tree stump, the stump has a higher IQ), or if she just plays dumb for some unfathomable-to-me political purpose.

The kicker in her opening statement at Dr. Rice's confirmation hearing was right in the beginning, when Sen. Boxer condescended to give advice: "And if you're going to become the voice of diplomacy -- this is just a helpful point -- when Senator Voinovich mentioned the issue of tsunami relief, you said -- your first words were, 'The tsunami was a wonderful opportunity for us.' Now, the tsunami was one of the worst tragedies of our lifetime -- one of the worst -- and it's going to have a 10-year impact on rebuilding that area. I was very disappointed in your statement."

How could anybody believe that "'The tsunami was a wonderful opportunity for us" was the sum total of Dr. Rice's viewpoint is astounding, and yet Sen. Boxer would have us believe that. For Sen. Boxer to pick and choose, cut and distort, and then expect respect from the other sentors and her constituents--and maybe even expect thanks from Dr. Rice for Sen. Boxer's helpful advice--is beyond the pale.

As a Californian (who not only voted for her opponent, but donated money to his failed campaign to unseat her), I apologize to the country for our state's having inflicted this woman on the nation for six more years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted for her and will continue to do so. I've had many issues addressed by her personally (She has actually called me and emailed me on occasion) and I feel she is helping many. I had no problem with her grilling Condelezza Rice. But, I'm very anti-Bush, anti-War in Iraq.

SkyePuppy said...

She has emailed me also, but it was always a form "letter" that gave no indication that she realized I was opposed to her position on the subject. Sadly, you and I will have to disagree, because I'm very pro-Bush (except his latest immigration policy)and pro-Iraq War. Thanks for your comment.