Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Pride and Joy

My Pride and Joy daughter works at a movie theater in town. Saturday, after she left for work, she called me and asked if I could pleeeease leave five bucks in her car for her to get lunch, because she was broke. I don't always give in, but I did that time. Since I only had some twenties and three ones, I left her a twenty under her music CDs and went into the theater to tell her where it was and that I expected change.

After work, when she came home, she pulled out her wallet to give me my money back, but something was wrong. Her lunch had come to $5.09, so she had given the girl $21 and got a bunch of coins and some bills back. But she had four, not three, five-dollar bills in her wallet.

Pride and Joy talked through the events, just to make sure that what she was seeing was really true. Then she asked me if I wanted to go with her to give the sub shop their money. Of course I did!

She spent longer than we expected in the shop. One of the other workers from the theater was there on his break, and he was so impressed that she was returning the change, he bought her a cookie. He said, "I would've kept the money."

The two shop workers, especially the one who had given her the excess change, were impressed too. They both said they would have kept the money if it had happened to them somewhere else. One of them said she'll buy PJ a sandwich the next time she comes in for lunch, and the girl took down PJ's name to give to the owner of the shop.

So my Pride and Joy, for turning in $5 that wasn't hers, got a cookie and the promise of a $5 sandwich, and most important, she got the satisfaction (and clear conscience) of doing the right thing. Plus, she's got a mom who's so incredibly proud of her, I can't begin to describe it.

No comments: