Saturday, October 15, 2005

Hugh Hewitt's Broadcast From GodBlogCon

After the second Plenary session at GodBlogCon, we had Free Time, which coincided with the first two hours of Hugh Hewitt's radio show that was being broadcast live from GodBlogCon.

Hugh Hewitt is Blogfather to a lot of the bloggers here at the conference, some who got started after reading Hugh's book, In But Not Of, where he said that if you want to influence the world, start and keep a blog. Others either heard Hugh talking about blogging on his radio show or read his book Blog or both. I'm in the "both" category.

So it was baffling to me how many bloggers had never heard Hugh's show. And that meant they didn't know about the last hour on Friday, with Emmett of the Unblinking Eye doing movie reviews and the Top 10 List of movies.

Hugh devoted the first two hours of his show to GodBlogCon, interviewing some of the speakers and bloggers, and the room was packed. But when the movie hour rolled around, about a third of the people left the room (probably because it was the official start of dinner time). For those of us who stayed behind, we had a real treat.

Emmett was on the show via phone. When it was time for the top ten list, this week's category was Technology (in honor of GodBlogCon). I wrote down the list of movies, and unlike most of the time, I actually agreed with Hugh when he protested the second best movie of all time involving or about Technology: 2001 A Space Odyssey. I would post the rest of the list, but that's really Emmett's privilege.

Next, I jotted down a couple of movies that Emmett left off the list: I, Robot and Enemy of the State. By far, Enemy of the State is the better of the two. During the commercial break I asked Hugh how to get a movie title on the show, and he told me to call the show from my cell phone, but the line was always busy, because everyone else thought Emmett's list was seriously flawed.

As the show was coming back on the air, I showed "Enemy of the State" to the blogger of A Ready Defense, who was sitting ahead of me, and he agreed that it was an excellent choice. So he wrote the title in large letters on his notepad and held it up for Hugh to read. The first thing Hugh said on the air after his "welcome back" was that he had thought of the perfect movie that should be on the list, and it was his idea. He emphasized that part.

Emmett agreed that Enemy of the State was worthy of the list (though I'm not sure he would have switched it for 2001), and the show continued.

We love Hugh, but the man is utterly, incorrigibly shameless.

4 comments:

Aarron & Cristine Pina said...

Hugh understands the Great Mandate of the entertainment industry - "Steal it and Make It Your Own", QED his use of your fine answer. A great broadcast and a clever, wise human being nonetheless.
I regret that I did not add you to my links, which I will do in the next five minutes. It was great to meet you as well and to see you "popping up" everywhere I was. (Though, a more appropriate term may be - "Puppying up".)

orangejack said...

"So it was baffling to me how many bloggers had never heard Hugh's show."

Why so? Why is it baffling that Christian bloggers have never heard of Hugh Hewit's radio show? I never had. I thought he was an author. I went to his site and left not interested.

His show isn't on in this area.

SkyePuppy said...

Rob,

It was baffling to me because I listen to his radio show most weekdays, I've read his "Blog" book, I read his blog most days, and I read a lot of the blogs he links to. So in my mind, Hugh and blogging have become intertwined. I forget (until I'm reminded again, like at GodBlogCon) that Christian blogging exists among people who have no idea who Hugh is.

I mentioned it out of chagrin at my own myopia.

SkyePuppy

Mark Daniels said...

I first learned of Hewitt through his web site, which I think I found through that of Mark D. Roberts.

After several months of periodically looking at Hugh's site, I learned that his radio show was aired on a weak-signaled station here in the Cincinnati area. (That's not longer the case, by the way.)

This points out the power and importance of not hanging our hats on one technological "rack." Whatever our messages, the more different media we can employ, the better. Each one can reinforce the other and allows us to reach different people than we would otherwise.

Fun post!

God bless!

Mark Daniels