Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Miers Coverage in WorldNetDaily

I like to use WorldNetDaily as the news site I keep open on my computer at work. I like the layout, because it's a list of headlines and sub-headlines, with links, that give me a quick overview of what's going on in the world. If something catches my eye, I can read further.

I don't like FoxNews or CNN on my desktop, because they stick one or two big fat pictures on the main page, so there's only room for a couple stories, and I have to hunt to find out what else is happening.

Today, though, WorldNetDaily is suffering from Handy But Inaccurate Syndrome (HBIS). Their number one story this morning, on the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, makes the claim that Miers "courted the support of the Lesbian/Gay Coalition of Dallas in her successful 1989 campaign."

But yesterday's Monterey Herald had an article (also see my post from last night) in which one of the leaders of the Lesbian/Gay Coalition of Dallas was quoted as saying that Miers did not seek the support of this group. Instead, she visited with them and spoke to them, and the group was confused about why she even went there, if she wasn't asking for their support.

"Usually, if you bothered to come, you wanted our endorsement," [Louise] Young said. "She came to talk to us anyway. I thought that was very odd."

So, it looks to me as though Joseph Farah (founder of WND and author of the article) does not like President Bush's selection of Harriet Miers, and he is looking for evidence to support his dislike of this choice. Here is the list at the bottom of the article of "Related Stories:"

Miers pick: 'Betrayal' or 'excellent choice'?

President taps Texan who's never been judge

Miers gave to Gore, Bentsen

Harriet Miers' statement

Notice that the headline, "Miers gave to Gore, Bentsen," gives the impression that she's a supporter of Democrats only. But the article spells out that her giving to Democrats was a long time ago (1987 - 1988) and was a small portion of her total political giving.

According to FEC data, Miers has contributed a total of $14,770 to candidates and special-interest groups since 1987. Of that amount, $3,000 went to Democrats.

Beginning in 1990, Miers' political giving all went to Republicans or special-interest groups, including two gifts of $2,000 to George W. Bush, one during each of his election cycles.

Some of the callers to Hugh Hewitt's show yesterday said that in 1988, Al Gore was still pro-life. As I recall, Gore didn't become pro-choice until 1992, when he was picked as Bill Clinton's VP running mate.

I'm disappointed in WorldNetDaily's willingness to allow misleading headlines and to skip the fact-checking process in their pursuit of an agenda. Kinda reminds me of Dan Rather's Memogate "fake but accurate" statement.

Update:

I sent Joseph Farah, Editor and CEO of WorldNetDaily, an email taking him to task over the inaccuracy in his article about Harriet Miers' visit to the Lesbian/Gay Coalition of Dallas. He was gracious enough to reply.

He made the distinction between Miers not seeking the group's formal endorsement (which could have hurt her in the City Council election) but still seeking the support of the group members. In this respect, he was accurate, but I'm not sure I agree that Miers was looking for their support, considering some of the answers to their questions were certain to be contrary to what the group stood for.

Regardless, Farah seems to me to be opposed to the Miers nomination. I still haven't decided.

No comments: