Monday, February 06, 2006

Spring is Coming

Spring is on its way here in Southern California.

I saw my first caterpillars of the year this past week--the black fuzzy ones that are about an inch and a half long. Then over the weekend, mockingbirds showed up, never quite sure which song they should sing but always certain to sing it loudly. I enjoy listening to them and their endless variety of music. Not like the raucous croak of the ravens that come around.

The strawberry stands are open now, and I picked up a 3-pack to go with the 4-pack of whipped cream cans I bought at Costco. Yes, spring is on its way.
As I was driving to the gas station, though, the trees along the road spoke of autumn and spring at the same time in the typical schizophrenic California way of things. One tree still had burgundy-colored leaves clinging to the twigs, while the tree next to it had grown a soft halo of tiny white flowers.

But this year winter didn't really come. I know people outside of California don't think we get winter here, but we do. It's called "rain." Winter is when we get rainstorms that blow down from the north and turn the hillsides green. We need it. I need it. I have weeds growing in the dirt in my front yard, and they're so much easier to pull right after it rains. But it's been a while, and it looks like its going to be a while still, and the weeds are getting sturdy, and pretty soon the association will stick a note on my door telling me to yank the weeds. I need winter to show up another time, so I can pull them.

But while I wait, I'll listen to the mockingbirds and squirt whipped cream on my strawberries and try to remember to take my camera with me when I go to the gas station so I can get a picture of the changing seasons.

Life is good.

4 comments:

Malott said...

I've been looking at my seed catalogues... thinking of rolling out my old Troy Built Tiller... putting out peas, leaf lettuce, spinach, and onion plants which will be as big as softballs in August.

I plan to post pictures of my garden this year on my blog page.

SkyePuppy, maybe you could post a picture of yourself pulling one of those big weeds. That's a picture I'd like to see.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

It's been too long since I had my Burpee seed catalog. The houses are too close here, so even if you have a good sized yard (which I don't), it's shaded most of the day by your own house or the house next door. My house faces west, so the front gets lots of good sun, but we're not allowed to grow edible plants in the front of our houses (sigh).

I learned to garden when I lived in Spokane (plant the warm-weather crops when all the snow is gone from Mica Peak). The year I decided to try cantaloupe was the year Mt.St.Helens exploded, and we got covered with ash that turned to cement when it got wet, so my little canatloupe sprouts never came up.

There's something about the Burpee seed catalog that calls to me and makes me think of sticking my hands into good rich soil. Chris, you've stirred a longing I'd tucked way down inside, and yanking out milkweed doesn't satisfy it.

Don't forget to put out some snow peas...

Malott said...

It's not often I get to stir a longing in a woman...

Burpee has the best photos (glossy) of their products and they have a great herb section. I have thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano, lavender, and basil growing around my patio. I like to read in my hammock during summer evenings... and when the wind is just right I can smell the herbs.

Well that's enough stirring of your longings, young lady.

SkyePuppy said...

Charlie,

The good part about long, hot summers out here in the west is that they don't swelter. Dry heat may be hot, but at least it's dry.