Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Texas, The Press, and Stuck On Stupid

I got back from Texas late last night, unpacked my toothbrush and not much else, hung out with my daughter for a while, then went to bed. Five days without email, without blogging, without the internet, without my daily routine, without my daughter and my little dog, and without work. When I got in the elevator this morning, I couldn't remember which floor I worked on, because my finger wanted to go to my hotel floor's button. Somebody else on my floor was on the elevator with me, and she pushed the right button, and then I remembered.

It was a great workshop on travel writing and photography, and it kept us in the classroom for two and a half days and out doing homework the rest of the time. I didn't see any of the Olympics until Sunday night (I like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer, especially the figure skating, especially the Pairs), but all I saw was the Men's Snowboarding Half-pipe.

And all I saw of the news was the first report Sunday night of Vice President Cheney's having peppered his hunting companion, Harry Whittington, with dove shot. Mr. Whittington was hospitalized but expected to recover nicely. End of story.

Or so you would think, if you didn't realize the press is a bunch of sharks circling around the Bush administration just waiting for the first drop of blood to send them into a reckless feeding frenzy. Apparently, when Lt. Gen. Russel Honore told reporters during Katrina's aftermath not to get "stuck on stupid," they saw him as some brainless military goon and promptly did the opposite of what he advised. Because the press is stuck. Hard.

There's news coming out of Iran that the lunatic in charge of that asylum, President Ahmadinejad, has begun small-scale enrichment of uranium. Here's today's FoxNews story on this.

Iran is moving closer to its nuclear plans. And what does the mainstream media think is important?

Vice President Cheney took too long to tell them about the hunting accident. Here is Time magazine's story, from yesterday. The world is in increasing danger from a wannabe genocidal maniac, and all the press can do is whine about having been left out of the loop when Cheney accidentally hurt someone. There's Cheney chum in the water, and the sharks are stuck there. Heaven help the MSM readers and viewers if anything really important happens.

4 comments:

Malott said...

Wecome back. I missed your writing.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

Thanks. It's good to be back.

Anonymous said...

I disagree about the media. I've heard about the nuclear power/weapons story since the day after they broke the seal.

As for the "news" on one polition shooting another; the media is in business to make a profit, which requires people to pick up the newspapers. If this kind of story sells better, they'd be stupid to not report it!

If you watch FOX's (so called) "fair and balanced" news, that would explain your stance against the media. Listening to a non-profit news organization like NPR would be a good step... IF you want to hear news other than the announcement of Mickey Mouse's B-day.

SkyePuppy said...

Anonymous,

The polling indicates that the general population has heard enough about Cheney's hunting accident and doesn't want to hear any more. In spite of this, the White House Press Corps hounded Scott McClellan about Cheney--the whole "What did he know and why didn't he tell us sooner?" business--to the exclusion of more important news.