Thursday, December 25, 2008

Eartha Kitt, R.I.P

Eartha Kitt passed away today after battling colon cancer. Such a shame! I first saw her on the Batman TV series, where she played Catwoman. Most of the men I know think that Julie Newmar was the best Catwoman. Yes, she was hot, but Eartha Kitt was absolutely and completely feline. Julie Newmar didn't hold a candle to Eartha Kitt's Catwoman, and don't try to argue with me, because you won't win.

This is a 1962 performance of her singing her hit song, "C'est si Bon." After watching her, it comes as no surprise that she would have been chosen to be Catwoman on the Batman TV series.     

My daughter bought "the llama movie," The Emperor's New Groove, when it came out on DVD, and I was delighted to hear Eartha Kitt as Yzma, the evil villain woman. She seemed to enjoy the role immensely. It was good to see that she was still working and not hiding away the way some actresses have done as they aged. In the end--outside of faith--what counts is that a person can find joy in bringing joy to others. Eartha Kitt appears to have done just that. She will be missed. Wikipedia's entry for Eartha Kitt. Niki D'Andrea's review of Eartha Kitt's live performance this past May in Phoenix (this review is where I found the C'est si Bon video).

No comments: