Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Blue Screen of Death

There's a lot to blog on today. But as lunchtime started and I got ready, my computer choked. After clicking on things in futility, I tried Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager so I could kill the offending task. But all I got was the Blue Screen and no little option box asking me if I wanted Task Manager or to lock the computer or to shut down. All Blue. All the time.

Ctrl-Alt-Del as a frantic multi-hit option didn't work either. So I unplugged the laptop from the docking station and tried finding the Reset button or a recessed place you poke with an unfolded paper clip to shut the thing down improperly but thoroughly. Nothing. And no time to let the battery die on its own.

I called the Help Desk, and explained the situation (feeling silly for not knowing how to turn off my computer). She asked if I'd tried holding down the power button for ten seconds. No, I hadn't, so I did, and it worked great. How come they don't tell you this stuff when you get the computer?

By the time the thing had re-booted, my boss had brought me a pile of work to do. Looks like last week's slow pace is OVER.

No time to blog now. Just a little time to sneak in an explanation and express my frustration with that certain shade of blue. Aaarrrggghhh!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And normally blue is such a pretty color!