Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Next World War

I was sitting in church with my friend this morning, and she wrote me a question on her bulletin. Did I think Israel's war was the beginning of The End? I wrote, "Possibly."

She added that a friend of hers, who is heavy into End Times prophecy, said that if Russia gets involved militarily, then we're probably looking at an approaching Armageddon.

I've tried not to think about it, as I've watched the news, but it's been in the back of my mind this time in a way that it hasn't been as we've fought in Afghanistan and Iraq. Israel's war could escalate. It hasn't yet, but it could. As long as the world lets Israel destroy Hezbollah's war-making capabilities, then we're fine. But if Iran and Syria get directly involved, look out.

Iran's President Ahminneedofastraightjacket has been supplying and supporting Hezbollah. Israel has identified the missile that hit their ship as Iranian. But the Iranian missiles are modified Chinese weapons. And I've read or heard lately that China has been negotiating with Iran to be China's primary supplier of oil. In exchange for what, I wonder?

Add to the mix Vladimir Putin, whose desire appears to be getting Russia set back up as a superpower. And that goal would be helped by reducing America's effectiveness on the world stage. He's been thwarting us in a passive-aggressive manner, helping the nations who oppose us and who spread instability.

Russia and China look to me like the kind of threats that the White House doesn't seem to see. The last thing we need a war that threatens the national interest of either of them, and a threat to Iran could be seen by them as that kind of threat. If the war in Israel escalates beyond the Middle East, I think we're in big trouble.

6 comments:

janice said...

I'll be looking forward to seeing my Lord when someone arises from this conflict with a real "peace plan" for Israel. The next 7 years will be interesting, no?

SkyePuppy said...

Seven,

My purpose wasn't to discuss the coming of Armageddon, but to look at the risk of escalation of this event in Israel.

It only took the assassination of a member of Austrian royalty to spark the horror of World War I. Now we have a total of about ten murders and three kidnappings--quite a spark in a powderkeg region. It could get ugly.

It could even get apocalyptic, but I'm not the one to say. I've read arguments for Pre-Millenial, Post-Millenial, A-Millenial, Pre-Trib, Post-Trib, Mid-Trib, Rapture, No Rapture, and all the other combinations of possible End Times scenarios until my head spins.

I don't like it when my head spins, so I try not to do that too much. It's enough for me to know that the focus of the whole world's animosity will one day be on Israel, and she will have no friends.

Until that day, I don't worry about the rest. And when that day comes, I doubt if I'll need to worry about the rest. I expect the answers will be clear enough.

In the meantime, I'm watching the events in Israel and praying for peace.

Thanks for stopping by.

janice said...

Morgan, only God knows when our Lord, Jesus Christ, will come again. People who go around saying "this is the end" have been doing that for 2 thousand years. Don't listen to the crazies, go to the "Book" for answers.

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

Thanks for the answer.

Morgan,

I apologize for the delay. I've been so swamped, I haven't time to do your question justice.

My answer assumes the existence of God, and it's from a Christian perspective.

The Master Plan is that God wants to have a loving relationship with each one of us. But love involves choosing, so He gave us free will. And a whole lot of people chose to feed their selfishness and their hatred and to cut off their compassion.

So now we have evil groups and evil nations doing evil things to innocent people. And the heart of God breaks over it. He lets it continue to give as many people as possible as much chance as possible to come to faith in Him.

But God chose the nation of Israel to be His people and to bless the world by giving us our Savior (Jesus was a Jew), and He has preserved at least a remnant of Jews throughout the ages. He promised to bless the nations that bless her and to curse the nations that curse her.

The prophecies of the End Times are so symbolic and so hard to figure out (some scholars say that when pre-BC prophets saw visions of modern technology, they were unable to describe it) that there's huge debate about what it means exactly.

What we can figure out is that there will come a time when all the nations of the world align themselves against Israel and declare war on her. That war will culminate in a battle to destroy Israel at Megiddo (Armageddon), but God will miraculously save Israel.

After that will be judgement on the nations and on individuals, but that gets back into the debate over what exactly that will mean and look like.

As long as the US stands with Israel, the End isn't here. But we don't know how ugly it can get between now and then.

Ultimately it comes down to each of us as individuals and whether we choose that loving relationship with God through faith in Jesus as our Savior. If we do, then as horrible as things get in this world, we'll have strength to get us through it and eternal life with God when we die.

OK. So I probably didn't do your question justice. And I certainly didn't do it as succinctly as Janice did, but it's the best I can do before I leave for work.

By the way, your Blogger profile isn't allowing anyone to look at it, so I can't get over to look at your blog. You might get a few more readers if you give access to your profile.

Welcome to the blogosphere!!!

Anonymous said...

It really doesn't matter if this is 'the beginning of the end.' We are all, each and everyone of us, facing our own personal judgement day. Our days are numbered. Our next breath could be our last.

Where will you spend eternity? Do you know for certain? Because if you don't know you can know. "These things I have written so that you might know that you have eternal life." Read the book. Read the Bible.

Blessings,
John

SkyePuppy said...

John,

You've got that right!