Friday, December 21, 2007

Chief UK Scientist Warns Women

The Telegraph reported Monday on the latest warning issued by the British government's chief scientist.

Women must stop admiring men who drive sports cars if they want to join the fight against global warming, the Government's chief scientist has urged.

Professor Sir David King said governments could only do so much to control greenhouse gas emissions and it was time for a cultural change among the British public.

And he singled out women who find supercar drivers "sexy", adding that they should divert their affections to men who live more environmentally-friendly lives.

"I was asked at a lecture by a young woman about what she could do and I told her to stop admiring young men in Ferraris," he said.

"What I was saying is that you have got to admire people who are conserving energy and not those wilfully using it."

I've never been one for fast cars and their drivers. Sports car drivers--not every single one of them, I suppose--strike me as too self absorbed. You see them driving down the road, the convertible top down and their nose in the air just enough so you know they're thinking, "I'm driving this cool car, and that makes me hot, and you know it, and you want me." Ugh!

I prefer a man with a truck. But Sir David probably wouldn't approve of that either.

6 comments:

Charlie said...

This reminds me of the 60's method of protest against Viet Nam where young hippy women promised sex to young men who resisted the draft. I was unfortunate in that I never met such a young woman myself. The regrets of youth...

janice said...

Surely you're not speaking of me and my sports car, are you?

SkyePuppy said...

Charlie,

You resisted the draft???

Janice,

I was talking about men sports car drivers. You're not a man.

Jacob said...

I prefer a dude with a car that doesn't have mag wheels, because invariably the dude is a massive cockhead.

But that's just me.

janice said...

In my defense, you really didn't make it "gender" clear until you let us know your type of auto driving man.

Paranoia is another trait sports car owners have.

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

Sorry, I knew I was thinking in terms of men sports car drivers when I wrote it. It wasn't until after you replied that I re-read it and saw that I didn't get specific. My mistake.