Monday, March 03, 2008

Gifts

I stayed up pretty late last night.

My daughter was here, working on a paper for one of her classes. She had to write about the Middle East policy of the Progressive Party, when the party website didn't say much beyond that the two-nation, one-state system status quo was bad. And since my daughter is young, she doesn't follow current events or foreign policy, so she didn't know what the issues are in the Middle East.

While I was trying to give her some insight on different aspects of the whole Israeli-Palestinian situation, we had a movie playing. We watched The Ultimate Gift.

It was in the theaters in 2006, and I bought it when it came out on DVD last summer. It's a wonderful story of an old man (James Garner) using a video will to teach his spoiled rich grandson (Drew Fuller) what's really important in life. He gives his grandson "gifts," and through the giving of them, his grandson grows up into a good man. These are the gifts, as they are listed in the end credits:

  • Work
  • Money
  • Friends
  • Learning
  • Problems
  • Family
  • Laughter
  • Dreams
  • Giving
  • Gratitude
  • A Day
  • Love

I recommend the movie. And I recommend these gifts.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

I've heard of this movie but I've never watched it. Now I'll have to get it! James Garner is great...not sure why I doubted that the movie would be good!