Monday, March 10, 2008

Lusting after Luxury

I don't wear a lot of jewelry. I have a few staple earrings: gold, silver, mother-of-pearl, cobalt-blue, and a pair of black-and-yellow fish-shaped earrings I wear with my yellow top. That's about all I need.

As far as the rest of it, well, I have my Isaiah 54 ring and some necklaces I take out for special occasions.

When I go past jewelry stores, I like to look at the colored gemstones because they're beautiful, but I never think about buying them for myself. What would be the point?

Then not too long ago I went past a jewelry store that had this in the window:


It's a citrine, 10 kt, teardrop shape, starburst cut. Exquisite.

I want one. Or, rather, I want one just like it in some other color. Yellow doesn't go with anything I own. Maybe an amethyst or a blue topaz. Same size, same cut, same mounting.

I asked about it at the jewelry store, and they wanted me to buy it right then. When I explained that I'm unemployed, the man suggested layaway. I politely but firmly declined.

Just the same, I took its picture and got the jewelry store's business card for that someday when I'll be ready to spend a bundle of extra cash on a fabulous piece of abject luxury.

No comments: