Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Grumpy (Updated)

Today was registration for next semester's medical classes, and I had requested Medical Coding, which would be offered online only. I love online classes, because I can do the work when I want to and don't have to miss things like my Wednesday night Bible study.

The process is that you get approval ahead of time from the teachers and administrators, in the form of a purple slip that you take to registration with you. This does not guarantee you a spot in the class. Placement in each class is first-come first-served.

In our Medical Billing class, they emphasized that we were the only competition for Coding, since Billing is a prerequisite, so I didn't get in line as early as I had before.

I should have. The class filled up just ahead of me, so I'm second on the wait list, and I'm pretty ticked that they told us not to worry about our class. And that I believed them.

But what makes it worse is that their ability to process people through registration took a severe nosedive over last time. In January, I got in line at around 6:00 am, they opened the office at 8:00, and I was finished before 9:00 am.

This time I got in line at 7:00 am (not much farther back than in January), they opened the office at 8:00, and they didn't let me in until 2:00 pm. Only to be told that my class was full. Seven hours of waiting for no results.

I am not happy.

Update (after Wednesday night class):

My face is very red from standing in the sun for 5 or 6 hours (it was heavily overcast when I got there then cleared up). I put my stuff down in class tonight and went to the office to register my complaint over the incredibly long time it took to register everyone.

After waiting my turn, I told the lady at the desk (normally a very perky woman) that I wanted to complain. She told me I couldn't complain, and they couldn't do anything for me. I told her I didn't want her to do anything for me (the situation with being on the waiting list is what it is, and I have to live with it), but I just wanted to be heard.

She shut up and listened. I asked her what caused the delay in helping everyone, and she said she couldn't tell me (not sure if she meant they didn't know or just weren't telling). She then went on to tell me what a hard day they had and I had no right to complain.

I tried a compliment, saying that they did a beautiful job with registration last time, and she shot back that they did a beautiful job this time, because they got everyone taken care of.

At that point, I said, "Oh, never mind," and I left the office about ready to burst into tears of frustration.

I vented to the people around me in class (we were working on our PowerPoint assignments, so this wasn't a disruption of class), and then I was fine again. Except for the sunburn that kept people commenting and recommending aloe vera.

After class, I talked with someone about another topic, and then the conversation turned to registration. She and I decided that things could be seriously improved (people had fought in line over cuts or saving spots for friends) if they established some criteria and assigned registration dates by priority.

Perhaps they value attendance and would assign the people with perfect attendance to Day 1 registration, people who missed a class to Day 2, and people who missed more than one class to Day 3.

Or maybe they value grades and can assign the people with the best grades to Day 1, etc. Or they could do some combination of the two, or whatever other criteria make sense and seem fair. Then we wouldn't have the camping-out-all-night (some people started waiting at 6pm the night before) free-for-all disaster that we had today. And they'd be able to spread the students over the three official registration days, rather than having everyone try to register on the first day.

With the economy what it is, more and more people are coming to the school hoping for retraining in the medical field. It's only going to get worse if they don't make some drastic changes.

10 comments:

ChuckL said...

A valid reason to be highly ticked. Or, as you put it, grumpy.

So what course of instruction are you taking?

Christina said...

Oh wow...that is ridiculous to have to wait that long. Was only one person working?

Sorry about your coding class, but being second on the wait list may just do the trick.

SkyePuppy said...

Chuck,

I'll be hoping for a couple people to drop the class, so I get in.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to look for gainful employment, and while I wait I may look into getting my CPC (Certified Professional Coder) via one of those exam study books. I hear it's a tough exam to pass.

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

They had multiple people working, but this is the first semester they instituted a registration fee ($10), and they only have one cash register, so that was probably the delay-causer. I wouldn't know for sure, because I didn't have to pay the fee, since I wasn't allowed to register for the class.

Anonymous said...

This isn't related to your post, but I found this link I thought you might be interested in. It compares the U.S. Constitution with the Confederate Constitution, article by article. Interesting stuff.

-E

Bekah said...

Oh Skyepuppy!! I feel so bad for you!! These are the very sorts of stories I hear at work...although I hear the aid end of it, not the class closing end of it. I can't believe it took so long where you are!! I figured they'd be light years ahead!!

Malott said...

"Perhaps they value attendance and would assign the people with perfect attendance to Day 1... Or maybe they value grades and can assign the people with the best grades to Day 1, etc. Or they could do some combination of the two, or whatever other criteria make sense and seem fair."

SP,

Fair? It really isn't fair that you have ambition that others don't possess, or that you're smarter.

Welcome to the age of Obama.

"I left the office about ready to burst into tears of frustration."

SP,

That's anger under control... Good women have that capacity...

James McDonald has been preaching on the storms in life, and why God allows difficulties in the lives of His best. (I'd put you in that category.) James would tell you that you will learn and grow closer to the Lord in this time.

So learn quickly.

janice said...

Lining up the day before sounds like something I would have done to get really good seats for a rock concert.

You know, in the day when you had to go and buy them and not sit at your computer making your purchase.

Tsofah said...

Skye,

I'm so sorry the red tape detained you from getting the classes you need/want. I pray G-d will grant you favor and make a way where there is none. Hugs.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

My use of the word, "fair," does not mean "equal." I use it in the respect that everyone has the same opportunity, not the same result. Get good grades, and you go to the front. Goof off, and you're at the back of the line. It's fair, because it rewards success not failure.