Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day!

Photo credit: Loebrich.org

It's my birthday today, and people have been planning their celebration of it for weeks.

In the olden days, long before I was born, people used to celebrate by dancing around a maypole. But nobody then knew I was coming, so they let that festivity fade away.

By the time I was a kid, the Soviets and their satellite countries were celebrating my birthday by driving their tanks and missiles up and down the streets of their capital cities. I'm not quite sure what it says about their regard for me, but I believe North Korea still honors my birthday this way.

This year, though, Southern California is going all-out. They're not exactly beating down my door to bring me birthday cake or anything, but hundreds of thousands of people have been encouraged to stay home from work and take to the streets to celebrate. While I'm honored by all the attention, they really don't need to call for millions more people to cross the border on my account. I can accept the people's well-wishes expressed from their home countries.

It should be a good day. I expect to leave work at a decent hour and hang out with my kids for the evening. It doesn't get much better than that.

General word of warning on birthdays:

Be careful about how and when you declare your age. My sister-in-law said that a couple months before she turned 41, she started giving that as her age, because she was practically there. But then when her birthday came, she added another year and said she was 42. It wasn't until one of her sisters corrected her several months later that she realized what she had done.

Don't let it happen to you.

6 comments:

janice said...

Happy Birthday!
I hope you enjoy all the celebrations in your honor today and don't get caught in traffic because of them.
God Bless

Christina said...

Skyepuppy,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Wow, you really know how to get the "masses" involved in the celebration of the blessed day of your birth. I'm impressed.

Sometimes the U.S. decides to elect a new president on my birthday, but that only happens certain years. You've managed a celebration of massive proportions since before you were born. Now that takes talent.

Hope you have a wonderful day with your family. I also hope none of the "celebrations" in your honor cause you to have to wash your own dishes if you go out to dinner. That would not be cool.

Malott said...

Dearest, Most Wonderful and Beautiful Skye Puppy,

I don't wish to throw cold water on your birthday, but I believe all these people in the streets of this country and elewhere may not be celebrating your birthday. The fact is, they are protesting it.

Your powerful writing skills threaten communism and the law-breaking of illegal aliens.

You are a powerful woman and these people despise you for it. You are feared and most curs_ed. (anathema, as we say in Greentown)

But to me? You are my hero and a mighty blogger I can tell you.

Happy 29th.

Your pal and admirer,

Christopher Wells Malott

SkyePuppy said...

Janice & Christina,

Thank you so much!

Chris,

Oh my. I'm speechless.

Anonymous said...

Recognizing that I can't compete with the well wishes of Janice, Christina and Chris, I will simply wish you a very Happy Birthday!

SkyePuppy said...

Thank you, Andrew!