Saturday, June 24, 2006

Weather Report

I was awakened early this morning by a sound I almost didn't recognize. This is California, where we normally don't get the kind of weather patterns that make the sky rip itself apart. The thunder wasn't a distant rumble, but a violent tearing of the fabric of the air around my house.

I remembered my mom telling me that my sister's computer was damaged during a thunderstorm, so I got up and made sure the computers were off and not just on standby.

As I crawled back in bed, the rain came in loud, spattering drops, then settled into a soft patter, and the thunder moved away into the distance and made me feel safe about getting in the shower.

The weather reports had said today would be the hottest day of the week, but nobody said anything about storms. We need the rain.

But when I took Abby outside, the patches of dirt were still dry and only polka-dotted by damp spots left by rain that had made a strafing run past my house.

I'm disappointed by the broken promise of rain, but not so much that I won't enjoy the warm day with blue skies. Have a great weekend.

No comments: