Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day


My dad liked ducks. He liked them for their waddle, and he liked them for their quack.

Last year, when my friends and I were at the zoo's hippopotamus exhibit, I took several pictures of the bellies of the ducks swimming on the surface, because I knew my dad would love them. I planned to send the pictures to him. But that was the same day he died.

I realize last year was my first Father's Day without him, but things were still such a blur, that I hardly noticed. This year is the first Father's Day I'm aware of being without him, and I expecteded to treat the day as the same as any other, but I couldn't.

On Thursday or Friday I was walking over to Quizno's to grab some lunch, and I started thinking about my dad. I miss him. What I miss about him the most is being able to talk things through with him to help me figure out what I should do--whether my ideas are good ones or foolish ones. I need that right now, and I haven't found anyone yet who can fill that void.

But that's not my favorite quality of his. What I loved best about him was his delight in life (especially about ducks). But I don't miss that very much, because I carry that with me. It's probably the best gift he gave me, besides life itself and the knowledge of his love for me.

My dad was a good man, faithful to my mom, devoted to the Lord, and ready to help anyone who needed it. He spent twenty years in the Navy, most of that on submarines, and ended his worklife as a substance-abuse-rehab counselor. In retirement, he was active with Point Man Ministries (website plays music) helping Korean War veterans, and then he worked with The Gideons.

His quiet peace is something I hope to achieve someday, but that day may not come until I meet him again. Until then, I hold his memory close in my heart.

May you have a happy Father's Day, either as dads with your children, or with your dad, or with the memory of the best of who your father was.

No comments: