Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Lead Me (Not?) Into Temptation

Events around me lately have been conspiring to lead me into temptation, and I'm not sure whether I should fight it.

It started when I went to Texas to visit my mom and my sister. My mom said that she'd love to get a full-size pickup and a fifth-wheel, and she and I could drive all around the country. My heart tugged a little, and then I decided her comment was of the devil, tempting me to give up all my responsibilities and just go have fun. I declined her invitation.

And then Saturday, my daughter decided that she's too directionless right now, and she wants to go to a Christian program in Texas (not near my mom) that she's been thinking about for a few years. The program lasts a year and helps college-age kids develop their character and faith, and it helps them find direction and purpose and ministry. The program starts mid-August.

Oy! Suddenly my at-home responsibilties look like they're diminishing. Quickly.

Then on Sunday, I watched the movie Bounce with a friend who has Netflix. (Spoiler warning!) At the end of the movie, after Ben Affleck does the right thing and because of that he loses his job and because of that he loses his nice beach house (end spoiler), it got me thinking again about being jobless and touring the country with my mom in her fifth-wheel. I mean, it wouldn't have to be forever. I could just do it for a year.

Last night another friend called, and while we talked, I mentioned my mom's idea. After her initial reaction ("Are you sure you and your mom wouldn't kill each other after being together that long?"), she assured me this is just what I need. I could treat it like a sabbatical--take a year off to clear my head, get caught up on my sleep, and re-evaluate what I'm supposed to do with the rest of my life. As she talked, I remembered how completely relaxed, how peaceful I felt on my trip to Texas, and the idea of holding onto that feeling for longer than just over a week was enticing.

Then today my daughter told me that she decided to start her Texas program in January rather than August, so she'd have more time to work and save up some money. And that would give me more time to think about my mom's proposal and work and save up some money.

So now I'm getting practical. I'd have to pack all my stuff in storage, except for the essentials--my laptop, my camera, my DVDs, and that skinny little dog who may or may not be Abby.

Maybe my mom's idea wasn't demonic after all.

No comments: