Monday, February 12, 2007

This Is Just Creepy

For starters, I love my little dog Abby. I take care of her. I give her the eyedrops she needs twice a day. And after she's had a bath, I might even let her wear her dress. But I can't imagine ever going this far for a pet--not even Abby:

ThisIsLondon (UK) reported Friday about a service for pet owners.

Wherever animal lover Sue Rogers goes, her two dogs and a cat go with her.

Which is no mean feat considering they have all been dead for several years.

Miss Rogers, 44, has had the ashes of her three pets transformed into a £3,200 diamond ring.


LifeGem UK [is] a company which makes diamonds from the remains of humans and pets.

They're synthetic diamonds, of course, manufactured over a period of time.

Scientists in the U.S. took a small amount of carbon from each set of ashes and heated it to 3,000C in a crucible.

Other chemicals were added to encourage the carbon atoms to attract each other, producing a rough diamond within two weeks. This was cut, polished and certified before being sent back to England where it was set in a gold band.

"I am delighted with my ring as it means I can have my pets with me at all times," said Miss Rogers, who owns a bingo hall.

But you don't have to stop with your late pets. A late spouse works just as well.

"We can turn any animal or combination of animals into a diamond as long as they have a skeleton or hair. I don't think we would be able to do a pet goldfish but we can do rabbits, cats, dogs, horses and of course humans."

Of course...

4 comments:

janice said...

People never cease to amaze me...

This woman has more money than brains.

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

You mean there's no Hershey necklace in the future? (Eeeewww!)

janice said...

I'll get a Hershey necklace when you get an Abby bracelet. Deal?

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

Deal. (Don't bother saving your money...)