Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Edwards Forgives Imus

CBS reported today on John Edwards' comments about shock jock Don Imus.

"I believe in redemption, I believe in forgiveness," Edwards said of Imus, who was suspended earlier in the week after calling the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy headed hos." Since then, Imus has repeatedly apologized for his comments and met with Rev. Al Sharpton, who called for the outspoken radio host's firing. Imus has also agreed to meet with the Rutgers team, who would not comment on whether or not they believed he should be fired.

That's really nice that Edwards believes in forgiveness. Too bad he can't find it within himself to forgive Fox News for not being far enough to the left to suit him.

It's possible I was being too hard on Edwards in my previous post. Maybe he's not a petulant little boy or a vindictive SOB after all. Maybe he's nothing but a trial lawyer, still living by the old rule, "Don't ask a question unless you already know the answer." Except: for the debates his motto seems to be, "Don't risk having to answer questions unless you know they won't be hard ones."

Edwards is an empty piece of fluff in the political wind, unwilling to face the challenges inherent in a presidential campaign.

Unlike candidates Rudy Giuliani and John McCain, who say they will continue to appear on Imus' radio show, Edwards says he hasn't seen enough from the shock jock to make that decision just yet.

So much for forgiveness...

5 comments:

Jacob said...

I wish I were American. There seem to be so many more racial slurs to choose from than here in the southern hemisphere. I haven't a clue what a 'nappy-headed' person is, or why it is so offensive.

Sigh.

Malott said...

"Edwards is an empty piece of fluff in the political wind..."

And the above is called "nailing it."

Good stuff... as always.

You will not be allowed to reduce or compress your output when you trek.

Just so you know.

SkyePuppy said...

Jacob,

I'm still not sure I know what nappy-headed is. The only time I heard the word, "nappy" was when I was in Britain. That's the word for the thing Americans call a "diaper." I thought Imus (never really heard of him before this) must be a British guy. But why anyone would think to call a black person "diaper-headed" is beyond me.

As for the "ho," I first heard that on Saturday Night Live about 20 years ago. Eddie Murphy (or the token SNL black at the time) did a routine called, "So You Want to be a Ho." Maybe we should blame SNL for the degredation of the culture since then...

Why this statement (as opposed to all the other similar statements being made and not made into an issue) is so offensive, um... I'm not sure. They hired Imus to shock, and then when he shocked, they were shocked! I don't get it.

Unless it's all about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton being able to shakedown another corporation for lots of race-guilt cash. But I wouldn't be so crass as to suggest such a thing.

SkyePuppy said...

Chris,

You will not be allowed to reduce or compress your output when you trek.

OK. Now I know...

Jacob said...

Well, meh.

In Australia, if a talk-back radio presenter says something racist, they are considered mainstream and are respected across the land.

Those who disagree are just silly lefties.