Sunday, April 08, 2007

Empty Nest

It happened suddenly, though it was expected.

The girls moved out yesterday. They'll be sharing my daughter's bedroom at her dad's house, until her friend can find her own apartment (she doesn't expect the newest living arrangement to work well for her for long).

And last night I found a new home for Zeus, my daughter's friend's puppy. Our friend finally admitted that her lifestyle wasn't a good one for puppy ownership. So I've been asking everyone I could think of if they wanted a puppy. When I was getting my hair cut, my hairdresser said she was interested in having him.

Last night, I took him over to her house to meet her and her two other dogs--a Jack Russell terrier and a pit bull. Zeus was scared of the pit bull, whose bark was loud enough to startle me too. But he and Lily, the Jack Russell, got along just fine after a while.

My hairdresser held Zeus and said she still wanted him. She was so thrilled with him. "He's so adorable!" When I walked back to my car, I saw Zeus looking at me with his big black eyes that seemed to be saying what the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding said: "Why you want to leave me?" But he'll be better off with someone who's home a lot to take care of him.

The house felt so empty after I got home, and it was a little scary. For some reason, when the girls are here I don't think about people breaking in, but when I'm alone I do. It's not that I expected the girls to protect me, but more that it feels like there's safety in numbers. Being alone feels vulnerable.

But being alone also feels promising. This morning I went to the 11:30 Easter service, because they had asked church members to attend the special 7:00 service or the late service to make room in the 8:30 and 10:00 services for visitors. So I slept in some, and when I woke up, I started cleaning the kitchen.

It may not sound like it, but "I started cleaning the kitchen" is a major statement. When the girls were here, I could clean the kitchen, go to work, and when I got back home, I couldn't tell that I had even touched it. Cleaning was an exercise in futility. But now, if I clean something or put something away, it stays that way. And that's what's so promising: When I get my house ready to sell, it will stay ready to sell.

Of course, my daughter came back twice last night ("I forgot toothbrush stuff..."), and she's here right now, cleaning their bathroom. But she's officially out of the house, and I've officially started on the next phase in my life.

My emotions are hopelessly mixed.

5 comments:

janice said...

I know how you feel, Skye. Even when Christopher was home, he was sleeping, watching TV or on his computer. But just having him share an address was comforting to me.
It seems I don't have as much laundry and like you said things stay the way you leave them.

I pray your excitement level remains high and your house sells as quick as ours did.

One question, how much time are you giving to allow for the house to sell? Are you planning for a set date to leave or is it when the house sells?

Bekah said...

What a big transition for you! I totally understand the "safety in numbers" theory. I had one roommate that worked nights, and that was my first time ever in life to be home alone at night. I slept with lights on for WEEKS. I also made her take the room by the door so if someone broke in, I could hide while she dealt with the intruder. (Wasn't I thoughtful?)

But oh yes...the joys of cleaning and having it STAY that way....

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

I plan on leaving in June, whether the house has sold or not. If it hasn't, I'll empty it out and leave it for sale that way. Then when it sells, I'll see if we can do the signing by fax or in an out-of-town escrow office (they have to have figured out how to get remote owners to sign things).

My houses have sold fairly quickly, because I get them as close to a model-home look as I can (while other people sell their houses as clutter bombs). Plus, I pray really hard...

Bekah,

At least I turn my lights off at night. ;o)

janice said...

That's a great plan.
I hope you get an agent who helps you sign IF you're out of town. We had to drive back to Cleveland tree times. Once to initial corrections, then to sign something for HUD and finally the closing papers.

janice said...

Opps, you know I meant three times.