Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My First Day Unemployed

Last week, one of the guys at work asked me, "What's the first thing you're going to do on Tuesday?"

I said, "Sleep."

That's what I did, only I started last night. At 7:00. Today, I feel awake.

Without an imposed schedule, it's up to me to figure out the best use of my time and the right balance of school, getting the house ready to sell, and preparing for the trip, plus all the normal-life tasks. Deadlines are a great motivator, and since today is the day our Extra Credit assignments from Reggie-Lab are due, that's what wins.

Reggie-Lab isn't the real name. It's a computer lab at the school, supported entirely by a grant from one of the area hospitals, and it's dedicated to anatomy and other medical subjects. Reggie is the guy who runs it. He's part tyrant, part funny-man, and we never know which part we're going to get on any given day. If you give him the wrong attitude, he'll banish you from his lab, and good luck getting more extra credit points somewhere else. So far, Reggie likes me OK.

I have three printed sheets, from the last two EC assignments, with drawings that I need to label according to what our lab manual wants. Only, one of the drawings (a vertebra with spinal nerves) isn't in the lab manual like that, so I'm going to have to punt. It's due today at 4:55pm.

Time permitting, I'll head to the bank, to AAA to pay the registration for the Toyota (due 4/20), and to the post office to order new mailbox keys. And then I'll head off to class. No house prep today. Learning more muscles and reviewing the nervous system will have to fit in around everything else.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Happy "First Day of Freedom from Work" Day!

Good luck with all your trip planning, school work and house selling preparations. Sounds like you needed to quit working so you would have time to do all your other "work". That being said, it's always nicer to be your own boss on your own schedule.

SkyePuppy said...

Thanks, Christina!

It's nice being my own boss, but that also makes it easier to get nothing done, something I'm trying to avoid.

janice said...

It sounds like the "boss" has to crack the whip around there!

Enjoy the freedom!

SkyePuppy said...

Janice,

The boss's biggest challenge is making sure the worker remembers what day it is...