Saturday, April 21, 2007

SpotBot Product Review



This is my new toy. It's a SpotBot. I saw it advertised on TV a couple weeks ago during one of my rare episodes of TV watching, and I said, "I've gotta get that!"

After having had in my house: a dog with medicine-induced incontinence (Abby), a dog with a malicious streak (Hollywood), and a puppy undergoing housebreaking (Zeus), I've got a carpet in trouble.

I was at Target a few days ago and saw this sitting at the end of the aisle, and it just jumped into the shopping cart and begged me to take it home.

It has two water compartments. The one on the right is clearly marked with lines for filling it with water up to here, and then adding the secret formula up to there. Very easy. The compartment on the left is where the dirty water goes during the cleaning cycle, and it's easy to empty.

They have two main automatic cycles. There's a button for new stains and another button for set-in stains (that's what I have). The set-in cycle lasts 6 minutes, and the new-stain cycle takes less time. You plug it in (power cord in back, not shown), stick the brushes (bottom left) on top of the stain, and push the button you need. When it's finished, it beeps for you to come and push the Stop button.

Here's a sample of SpotBot's handiwork. Before:



And after:


Notice that the former stain is now cleaner than the surrounding carpet. I'll have to figure out what to do about all the clean circles I'm going to have.

The one drawback that I've noticed about SpotBot is that it leaves the carpet more wet than I'd like, but that's easily solved by folding a hand towel in half and blotting it by stepping on it. After blotting, the damp area dries fairly quickly.

One fill-up of the solution container works for three spots, so I'm hoping I can find a gallon bottle of the pet formula solution. It comes with sample bottles of two formulas: Little Green Formula, for general purpose (including pet stains), and OxyGEN 2, for stains with dye in them (red wine, black cherry Kool-Aid). I bought their specialized pet stain and odor formula at Home Depot, and I like the scent better than the Little Green scent.

I've had carpets professionally cleaned before, but although the stains may disappear immediately after cleaning, they always seem to come back. If I can get the worst of the spots taken care of with SpotBot, then maybe getting the carpets cleaned by the pros wouldn't be a waste of money. I'll have to decide that later.

But for anyone else, if you share carpets with careless pets or toddler-sized stain machines, SpotBot may be just what you need.

6 comments:

Charlie said...

My carpets are darker than the spots, too, but in my case it's because the carpets really, really need cleaning. This looks like a pretty useful gadget. I'll have to look for one next time I'm at WallyWorld.

Anonymous said...

For a dog owner,or an old dog maybe there's a solution for carpet. This is a dog waste system. You can log-in the website to find out the details. Their website:www.fellowlike.com.tw

janice said...

The spotbot worked great!

We just had out carpets cleaned yesterday. They were a mess, you couldn't wear a pair of white socks and walk around for more than a few hours. It made me crazy.

Christina said...

Looks like a good buy. I recently broke down and bought a steam cleaner from Amazon to clean our pet/toddler stains. I love it so far. It has already easily paid for itself.

You might try checking out Amazon for the gallon-size pet stain formulas. They seem to have decent deals. I believe I've also seen it at Walmart and Target.

Have fun cleaning! Isn't it nice when something actually works as advertised? A novel idea....

All_I_Can_Stands said...

That clean spot cracked me up. It reminds me of a time I used something to clean a spot on the carpet and got a 1 foot circle of very clean carpet. I had to go outside and grab some dirt and rub it into the clean spot to shade the color back. It took a few months of repeating this until it was more evenly clean.

Bekah said...

Unfortunately I can't blame any spots on careless toddlers - and only a few on the pets. Most of the carpet issues I have came from a careless Bekah! (apparently a LARGE towel is in order when doing a home hair dye job.) But this looks like a product well worth its money!

Aren't you so glad it just jumped into the cart?