Friday, June 08, 2007

Teen Finds Diamond

The AP reported yesterday on a 13-year-old girl who found a diamond sticking up from the path where she was walking.

Walking along a path taken by thousands of others at the Crater of Diamonds State Park, Nicole Ruhter noticed something everyone else had missed -- a tea-colored, 2.93-carat diamond.

Ruhter, 13, of Butler, Mo., said she would name her find the "Pathfinder Diamond" after pulling what she described as a broken pyramid from the ground. Her parents, grandparents, brother and two sisters had already spent the day digging in two other fields before heading down the path just after 7 p.m. Tuesday.

"We were walking through the path and I just walked and saw this little shine," said Ruhter, who has just finished the seventh-grade. "We wrapped it up in a little dollar bill and took it back and showed them."

Ruhter said both park rangers and her vacationing family got excited about the diamond, found along a service road. So far this year, visitors to the park have found 332 diamonds, three of them Tuesday alone, said Bill Henderson, assistant park superintendent.

"I was kind of praying to God. I was saying, 'I don't care if it's worth whatever it's worth, I don't care if it's a tiny little sliver of something, I just want something,'" Ruhter said. "Ten minutes later, I just found it."

Crater of Diamonds State Park is the world's only diamond-producing site open to the public and visitors are allowed to keep the gems they find. On average, two diamonds are found each day at the park.

I think maybe my mom and I should visit Crater of Diamonds State Park when we're in Arkansas. You never know. Scooter might find something good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how much it's worth.
Jeff

Bekah said...

I think this would be a very fun thing to do. Maybe someday when I become more adventuresome than I am today, I can try something like this! My vote is that you should do it! :)

Anonymous said...

So that's why there's a gem on the quarter. Since the Clintons I have wondered if anything good ever came out of Arkansas.