Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Trip - Random Observations

Motels:

I noticed something on my drive from California to Cisco. Two out of the three motels I stayed at were owned by people from India. That could be a coincidence, although Arizona and Texas aren't places I usually imagine Indian natives settling in.

But then, when we needed to find a place to stay in Monahans, we checked, and two of the three motels there were run by Indian families. And in Odessa, a couple motels (including the one where we're staying) are Indian-run as well.

It's one of those "Huh" moments. I've heard that a lot of dry cleaners are owned by Koreans, a lot of donut shops are owned by Vietnamese, and a lot of cab drivers are Muslims. But I hadn't heard that a lot of motels are owned by Indians. You learn something new all the time.

Rest Area:

The rest area outside Clyde, Texas, has this dog-friendly area, which Scooter appreciated:



Tenacity:

Some life forms don't know how hard they have it:

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I've noticed the same thing about the motels. Have stayed in quite a few of them. They tend to be older establishments and inexpensive. I've often noticed that there's extended family staying in some of the other rooms, so perhaps that's one of the reasons -- cheap housing for your relatives?

Bekah said...

Love the picture from the rest stop - lucky Scooter! :)

And I LOVE the flower picture. THat is a great lesson about life captured in that.