Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Trip - Day 3 Update

There was an odd little incident yesterday that I didn't mention before, and I bring it up here as a curiosity piece, not as any kind of warning.

I was driving along, minding my own business, when I hit a swarm of bees, and they made splattering noises all over the windshield like the sound of huge raindrops (thankfully, not too many bee guts left behind).

The next time I stopped for gas, of course I cleaned the windshield. There was one bee stuck in the wiper, and I didn't mess with that one, because the gas station didn't have paper towels, and it wasn't in the way.

After I got in my car, a live bee came to the windshield and flew along the wipers, as though it was checking things out.

Now I've read about Africanized bees before, and they have the ability to seek revenge for the death of one of their own. The researchers have learned that if you step on an Africanized bee, the bee, in its dying moment, appears to send out a distress signal that all its swarm-mates detect, and they come after you.

This inspector-bee by my windshield wipers didn't go on the attack, and it wasn't joined by any buddies, but its actions made me pause and be thankful I was safely inside my car.

3 comments:

Bekah said...

I have so never heard of that. (Not surprising...) That could be a very bad thing....wow! I don't even care for one little sting. Don't think I'd really want the whole swarm after me.

Anonymous said...

Cool!

Now I have a rather comical image in my head of a poor little smooshed bee whispering his dying words into the ear of a friend.

Avenge my death, Simba.

SkyePuppy said...

Bekah (and Jacob),

I've changed my ways. Before I read that, I used to step on bees that were on the sidewalk (but only if I was wearing closed shoes). They really should DIE for what they do to us.

But not anymore. I'm too afraid of the vengeance, so I don't want to take that chance.