Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I put on my good dancing dress, the one with the flippy skirt that's great for turns, and my good dancing shoes and went to a New Year's Eve party. My main concern was my shoes, which I've had for a long time and the straps where I buckle them are getting worn. So I was afraid I'd have a shoe blowout while I was dancing, but that didn't happen. My shoes let me dance the year away.

East Coast Swing, some Salsa and Cha-Cha, and a little Two-Step. They played some funky disco music too, which I ignored.

My most frequent dance partner was K, an older gentleman who was in the same Swing Dance class that I was in several years ago. K seems to like to dance with me best, though he's not my favorite partner. I prefer a stronger lead than K, but when the alternative is not dancing (there are always more women willing to dance than men), then K does just fine. Any time the music turned fast, he gave me the look with the raised eyebrow, and we took to the floor.

It's 2008 now, and I'm at home. I changed the copyright date that will go on any photos I post, and I took down the 2007 calendar. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2008 replacement for it. I suppose I'll have to do something about that.

It's hard to know what this new year will hold. A new president-elect, of course, but on the personal level, that's a different story. God willing, my house will sell this year, and I'll finally decide what to be now that my kids are grown up, and where to go to school to learn the new career.

Among the things I've been reminded of this past year: The faithfulness of friends. The joy of family. The unsurpassing goodness of the Lord my God. Nothing else is more important than these.

May you have a wonderful new year.

7 comments:

Bekah said...

Happy New Year! I hope you find just the perfect calendar. Mine for home this year ended up being the perfect free one from my insurance agent. Can't beat free!

Your festive ringing in of the new year sounds very fun. I went to a party where I was chased by small children (though who can resist the never ending hug that follows?) and read cards for a couple rousing rounds of "Buzzword."

Charlie said...

Sounds like you had a fun New Year's Eve, Skye. Thanks for sharing it with us, and I hope 2008 brings some clarity about the future for you.

SkyePuppy said...

Bekah,

Those hugs sound wonderful. But I don't think I've ever played "Buzzword." Is it anything like Taboo?

Charlie,

I'm sure when I finally decide on a direction for my future (and again when I decide on something different), you'll be the first to know. I realize it's not a pretty picture, but I haven't been able to keep my career angst off my blog.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I remember when swing was making a comeback, with a big push from that Gap commercial (I worked for the company at the time).

Happy New Year!

Bekah said...

It's been so long since I played Taboo that I don't exactly remember how it goes. But Buzzword works like this. You have two teams. The card reader has a card with a word at the top, which is divulged to the team. every response must include that word. Then there are ten clues on a card - each leading to a response including the buzzword. THey get a point for every correct answer. whatever they don't get to or they get wrong by the time the timer runs out - the other team can try to guess. IT's pretty fun!

SkyePuppy said...

Bekah,

Buzzword sounds like a fun game.

And it turns out I already had a free 2008 calendar. I was keeping it hidden under the giant atlas my son gave me last year, which I have on the counter as decor (and paper-hider) in case someone comes to look at my house. My daughter reminded me she gave me the calendar, which she got for free at work. I love that word, "free," especially when the pictures are nice ones.

ChuckL said...

A big HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, too, skyepuppy!


-chuckschants-