Saturday, May 17, 2008

Obama and Shop Class

There are times when a really clever thought passes through my mind, I recognize the brilliance of it, and then I get distracted by something, and the thought is gone. I had one of those the other day, after President Bush spoke before Israel's Knesset and Sen. Barack Obama responded defensively (HT: Sparks from the Anvil).

Here is the pertinent portion of President Bush's speech:

Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along. We have heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared: ‘Lord, if only I could have talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided.’ We have an obligation to call this what it is – the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history.

And Obama's reaction:

The Illinois senator interpreted the remark as a slam against him but the White House denied that Bush's words were in any way directed at Obama, who has said as president he would be willing to personally meet with Iran's leaders and those of other regimes the United States has deemed rogue.

"It is sad that President Bush would use a speech to the Knesset on the 60th anniversary of Israel's independence to launch a false political attack," Obama said in the statement his aides distributed. "George Bush knows that I have never supported engagement with terrorists, and the president's extraordinary politicization of foreign policy and the politics of fear do nothing to secure the American people or our stalwart ally Israel."

My brilliant thought was a memory from my childhood. My mom had Bill Cosby's album, Why Is There Air? and I remembered the punchline from the track, Shop. And then I forgot it before I had a chance to blog.

But See-Dubya, at Michelle Malkin's blog, remembered long enough to to post this. Brilliant!

No comments: