I applied at my old company for a job with my first boss there, who manages a different group now. That was a couple weeks ago, and I hadn't heard anything. So I called her Friday to find out if they'd made a decision yet or not.
When she called me back, she said HR would be calling me sometime, then she told me about another opening with someone else I knew in the company. That person had been in charge of the group that my group interfaced with.
I called the second person and had a good conversation with her. She told me about the job and gave me the right number for the position opening so I could apply online. But before I applied, I decided to have lunch with someone who used to do that job and grill her on what skills were needed and what was fun and frustrating about the work that was required. That lunch was yesterday.
But right before I left for lunch, I finally got a call from HR to arrange an interview with my old boss, and we scheduled it for this morning.
Yesterday's lunch went well, and I decided the work would be a stretch for me, but in a good way, so I came home and submitted my application.
This morning was my interview with my old boss, and the work started sounding more fun than it seemed when I was thinking about taking the "stretch" job. But they still have more people to interview, and I won't hear anything until next week. So I've still got my irons in both fires, which should pay about the same salary.
Then tonight I got a call from a contracting agency, and there's an opening I qualify for. It would be a 4 - 6 month contract paying double what the other two jobs would offer, and it would be 10 miles farther from my house (about 20 - 30 minutes farther).
So many decisions, after so long with no options!